www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:03 am 

Guys and gals,

What combinations of cloth prefolds, flats, stuffers, etc. have you found to work the best for you?

Do add a flat to your prefold? Stuffer? Both? Double stuffers? Toddler prefolds as stuffers? or do you try to make it through the night with only a night-weight cloth diaper? Also, how long do you wear them?

I have a limited number of prefolds, flats, and stuffers and am trying to experiment to find what works best before ordering greater numbers of diapers, etc.

--John

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:08 pm 

Because of my sphincterotomy, my experience may not be as useful as the experience of others, but here goes anyway.

My nighttime combination is two (or more if they're ragged from years of use) medium night-weight diapers plus a stuffer, usually a folded but badly worn diaper that's too far gone for any other use.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:28 am 

JD, It simply comes down to your need at night/day. At night I wear two night weight diapers. My belief is you never have too much protection, only too little. Since we are all different wear as much as is comfortable. I get at least 12 hours out of my night diapers mostly because I have to shower and start the day and not because they are reaching their capacity. Try different combos to see what you personally need and are comfortable with. It is not rocket science. Papa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:34 am 

My experimentation continues with (so far) good results. Yesterday I reached the 12 hour mark in wearing my overnight cloth diaper by using a combination of night-weight gauze prefold, flat, plus a gauze stuffer. :D Of course, as someone said, (Papa perhaps?) you must get used to tolerating the substantial bulk of the diaper.

I am very pleased as 12 hours is all I need. It permits me to change and read before going to bed, and, after getting up, enjoy my morning coffee and news, eat breakfast, and put in an hour or so of work before I then change and shower.

And, best news of all, NO LEAKS!

After my morning change and shower I am back in disposables, but will experiment with wearing cloth at home during a couple of mornings a week.

As you may have gathered, John is a very happy camper!

--John

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:05 pm 

JD,

Your morning routine is very similar to mine. After you have become accustomed to the feeling of nighttime protection that is heavy enough to be reliable, that second mug of coffee at breakfast becomes enjoyable instead of a threat.

I wish you continued success.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:47 pm 

Patrick,

Very well said about that second cup of coffee! :D

--John

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:41 am 

Hi all,
I'm using more and more cloth diapers at night. I do mix between disposables and cloth depending how I feel and how much washing we have to do (we are a family with three kids). Cloth is for me superior to disposables, but leads sometimes to leakage around my waist. Not every time, but it happens once in a while. I'm used to the bulky protection so that's all ok. My wife understands that I prefer it and is supporting me in any way. My challenge is still around the plastic pants. Can you tell me which plastic pants work for you the best with cloth diapers? I'm really looking for the brand name and the article number. Even though I'm living in Europe I have the luck that I will be in America next month. I can get them delivered to my hotel. Thanks for the advice, it's really appreciated!
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:41 am 

Bob,

For use over night-weight cloth diapers, I use the "Full Cut PUL Incontinent Pant (FCPUL)" from Driwear or Fetware. They are two Web sites for the same company. Driwear is the mainstream site while Fetware has fetish items, but more selection. You will find the FCPUL pant at the link below:
http://www.driwear.com/adult-diapers/PU ... apers.html

This is a breathable PUL (polyurathane laminate) pant designed to fit over cloth diapers. I have found them to last forever (almost) if hand-washed and hung to dry. The price is $24.95 in size Large. Driwear/Fetware also makes another version sized for disposables.

Driwear also makes vinyl plastic pants sized for cloth diapers.

I hope this helps.

--John

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:20 am 

Hi Bob, I use the BKINS tuffy pant. It has a 2 inch higher waist than regular cut pants. Another thing that you can do is buy a size or two larger than you think you need. The fit is much looser but it allows far better coverage of the diaper. Also, they aren't nearly as tight in the leg openings when you buy them that way. That way you don't have the "red line" around your leg in the morning. Another advantage of buying your plastic pants in a looser size is that it seems to make them last longer. They don't get the stiffness and tears around the legs and waist nearly as fast as a snugger fitting pant.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:31 am 

The overpant I use for nighttime protection is the clear polyurethane pant from Angel Fluff. For daytime use and for additional protection over disposables, I use polyurethane laminate (PUL) pants from DMPonline.