www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best cloth diaper
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:41 am 

This question has probably been answered in a previous post, but I can't seem to find where. I am wondering about what people feel is the best cloth diaper. I see that there are a number of companies that offer cloth diapers, but would like to know from those that have purchased them what you feel are the best...material, company, etc. If this topic has been addressed before, I'm sorry for asking. Just direct me to the right section. Thanks

Post subject: Re: best cloth diaper
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:36 pm 

dp, your question is exactly why this cloth diaper area was formed. You will probably get many replies since everyone has their own preference. Just as size is unique to each of us so is material. I prefer and use gauze. I started with cause and just stuck with it since it met my needs and was very comfortable. I buy from ACD (Adult Cloth Diaper, Co.) and service and products, plastic pants also, have been very good. Their one item I do not get is their adult diaper pins, the nickel coated pins will eventually wear and cause rust stains on the diapers. The best adult diaper pins I have found are from Baby Pants. You really just have to try different material to find what meets your comfort and absorbency needs. Ask away on your questions and I am sure you will get plenty of answers. Papa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:34 pm 

I prefer gauze next to my skin; the outer diaper can be birdseye or flannel. I get my supplies from Adult Cloth Diaper, Angel Fluff, and Kins.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:14 pm 

Like Papa, I buy prefold gauze diapers and flats from ACD.

3" pins. The last few batches of "regular" size diaper pins I ordered from Amazon came from China and were poorly made.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:03 am 

Just make sure the diaper pins are adult size and made of stainless steel. I had the baby size ones open up and one just broke. They should have a locking head also. We are adults and weigh a lot more and put a lot more strain on the pins, diapers and plastic pants. Cloth diapers require a different approach than paper diapers. Those of us that prefer them learn quickly how to adapt. We also still use disposable diapers on occasion since they are more adapted for certain situations. Many here just use cloth diapers at night others full time or mostly full time. Besides comfort and absorbency another plus is you never run out of diapers. Take your time and all will work out for you. Papa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:30 am 

Thanks for the advice. In my searching on the web, I have noticed several adult diaper companies. Has anyone tried diapers from either Kins...a Canadian company I believe, or Changing Times? They seem to be a little cheaper than ADC.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:51 pm 

I have had good luck with Changing Times and ADC too. Changing Times has good quality diapers and ships quickly from Northern California so if you are around the west coast delivery should be fairly prompt. You might consider toddler 'snappi' size 2 fasteners. With a little practice I find them quicker than pins, more secure and better able to hold diaper in place than pins. They do stretch a bit with time, but I have not had one break. The Gary Leakmaster PUL pants are very durable and comfortable over cloth. I have used both Active fit and standard. The standard have a bit more room in the seat. Good luck dp66

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:45 am 

dp66,

The AdultClothDiaper Company (ACD) is a safe bet. I have used them several times with complete satisfaction.

Gauze is arguably the safest material to order as it absorbs the fastest and also dries the fastest. I use the Leakmaster prefold gauze diapers in night weight.

If you wet a lot at night (as I do) you may wish to consider adding some additional absorption to the cloth diaper in the form of a cloth stuffer (cloth booster pad). To wear for longer periods I either use two stuffers or add a gauze flat diaper on top of the prefold (in addition to the stuffer).

Order a diaper a bit larger than the charts suggest. In addition to shrinkage, you will want the sides to wrap around some at the waist to make it much easier to pin the diaper and also to provide more side overlap to catch leaks when sleeping on your side.

The Gary PUL pants sized for cloth diapers are great. Note that these are not the Gary Activewear PUL pants sized for disposables. Also note that your diaper cover absolutely must cover the top of the back of the diaper or it will wick moisture onto your sleepwear and bed linens.

Small variations in folding the diaper, or in pinning it, can make a marked difference in comfort and effectiveness.

As you will have gathered from reading the messages, some experimentation is required to find what works best for you and everyone has a different, and valid, opinion.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:48 pm 

This is really a subject that few people will agree upon what is best. Cloth diapers use to be more absorbent than disposables, but not any more. However, there are still many advantages of use cloth diapers at night if you sleep on you side a lot, but even then it is still tricky so I wear a lined absorbent diaper cover over the cloth diaper. I like the pre-fold birdseye myself and buy them from Fetware , and Adultclothdiaper Company. In my opinion, those two companies have the best pre-fold birdseye cloth diapers on the market at what I consider a reasonable price compared to lesser quality cloth diapers from other companies. Everyone has an opinion, and this is my opinion.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:42 am 

Cloth diapers are cloth diapers. They have been around forever. With modern times they are better made but still are not much different than 50 years ago. Absorbent cotton, diaper pins and plastic/rubber pants and that is it. Absorbency is just a matter of thickness. I wear two night weight diapers at night and never have a problem. I wear one night weight during days. Disposables only under certain conditions. I think everyone played the "how little can I get away with during the day game" to avoid bulk. I wore cloth in the day when I felt I was not leaving home but often wound up having to go out to get something or meet a friend who called and asked to meet for a quick lunch or needed a hand. I quickly realized that no one had any idea what was on under my jeans or even my shorts in summer. I still am paranoid about my privacy but not at the price of being uncomfortable and wearing a diaper that I trust. All diapers have a breaking/leaking point so paying good attention to that is the number one key for success. Find what works and then find how to make it fit your life style. Papa