www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:01 pm 

Has anyone successfully used training pants for overnight use? My mother-on-law is gradually losing her continence and the heaviest pull-ups leave her soaking in the morning so we want to consider training pants.
I know she really should use diapers but she isn't at the age to learn new tricks and would never manage putting them on herself. She is currently semi-independent, fully fecal-continent and still urinates in the toilet sometimes. Diapers will put an end to all of this.
I saw what looks like pretty heavy training pants from Baby-Pants but I'm not sure if they will suffice. Most of the reviews were from ABDL users who don't really need so much absorption. Is there anything out there that can hold up all night.
It might help to add boosters, but that would have to be something we can put in in advance so all she has to do it put it on like regular underwear.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:37 pm 

I have bought a pull on diaper from Adultclothdiaper.com which great success. It has a panel in the middle that allows a diaper doubler to be added for extra protection. It also dries quicker in the dryer with this feature. I have used it a night some times, but not too often since I'm a heavy wetter at night. I use their pre-folds and they are a high quality diaper. Check out there site and see all that they have. Good Luck!! ................. Paul Martin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:14 pm 

Using cloth training pants seems like an interesting solution for the times when you need light protection, please let us know how that works out! :)

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:33 am 

She may want to try a premium taped diaper if she is peeing that much at night a level 4 Abena plastic backed or a Dry 24/7 diaper might be a better solution. It's a bit more work to out on then a pull-up but should have more absorbancy then a pull-up.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:58 am 

Vandel,
Most diaper brands have pull ups with higher capacities. Tranquility makes a ATN pull up with a higher capacity. Plus you can add boosters to help keep her dry, without booster I wouldn't stay dry for long. Using bed protection to protect the bed is very important till you find the right combination. Hang in there you will find the right protection for her.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:26 pm 

I wear Tena Super for my day and night diaper. It is the best diaper I have found for daytime use and I can go several hours before I need to change. For night wear, I wear a Gary pull on diaper over my Tena diaper and a waterproof panty over all. Most of the time it is perfect for me but I have had some leaks. The Gary cloth pullup diaper has been a life saver at those times. The panty keeps the bed dry and I use a bed pad just in case. I've also worn the Gary diaper during the day with a panty over all bit this is bulky. I substitute a heavier diaper for the Tena at night if I expect heavy wetting. I also wear the heavier diaper during the day if I will not have easy access to a restroom for changing. I like Seni, North Shore, and A-Plus (I think that is the brand name, from XP Medical) for those "extra protection" days and nights. They are expensive for daily use but they work well. I have the Baby Wear training pants and have used and liked them but they are visible when I'm in pants and the Gary diaper has more coverage for both night and the sometimes day use. They are not as visible under pants.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:00 pm 

I have used the BabyPants training pants as pull-up diapers. I used the thicker version (called "my first training pants") for overnight and heavy urge days and the lighter version (called "almost a big kid") for lighter days and when more discretion is needed. Even though they are marketed to ABDL folks, I found them to work well for incontinence. I found that the thicker version would take two floods, saturating the center panel front to back. I wore them with snug-fitting GaryWear PUL covers. My only gripes about them was that the rise wasn't high enough and that the waist and leg elastics weren't very strong. The GaryWear PUL covers helped compensate for the weak elastics in the training pants.

After the BabyPants training pants wore out, I tried the Star Training Pants from QualityDiapers.net. These are marketed primarily to boys who have bedwetting and daytime accidents, but they are sold in adult men's sizes up to 54" waist. These have a good rise, and will take one large flood plus one moderate wetting. Discretion is good, and the GaryWear PUL covers fit over them nicely. I have several of these, and I wear them at home to reduce the number of disposables I'm using. Like the BabyPants, however, the elastics aren't as strong as they should be. I have also run into issues with them coming part at the seam between the absorbent center panel and the sides. Given the high price of these training pants/diapers, I do not feel they have lasted as long as they should. I probably won't buy them again. I feel that the BabyPants trainers provide better value for the money in terms of absorbency, capacity, and quality. If the BabyPants' rise was higher and the elastics were stronger, they would be perfect. I'm thinking of trying them again, but buying one size larger than normal so that the rise is higher.

Both the BabyPants and Star training pants have enough room for thin cloth or disposable boosters. The BabyPants have a wider crotch than the Star trainers.

I have tried some of the flannel pull-ups (KINS, Loving Comfort--which is no longer in business, and Adult Cloth Diaper). The problem for me is that flannel has a slow absorption rate, which is not compatible with urge/flooding incontinence. During a heavy wetting, I would find that the urine would pool in the crotch of the diaper, or, worse, in the crotch of the PUL cover. Furthermore, they take forever to dry after being laundered. The BabyPants and Star training pants are not flannel, but they are made from a knit cotton that absorbs quickly. Both products would absorb my heaviest wettings without any problem, and they laundered well.

I am hoping that someone will design and market a gauze pull-up diaper with strong elastics. I like the softness and fast absorption gauze provides, but I don't have the dexterity or the patience to deal with pinning pre-folded gauze diapers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:51 pm 

MikeNPW,

Thanks for that information! :)

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:39 am 

MikePNW,

Good post. Lots of useful information. I share your concern about the rate of absorption. Thanks!

--John

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:44 pm 

Pull-ups and training pants are made for lighter wetting, great things if that is all you need. I suppose one could double up but that may get bulky. One could also use a prefold diaper as a booster. But as Paul M said, nothing beats cotton prefolds at night or in the day. Those that use disposable diapers all the time complain about the plastic backing becoming obsolete on all the newer diapers. That is never a problem with cloth diapers because we use plastic pants over them. But I also understand that people with dexterity problems are limited to certain items. Hope I never get there. Papa