www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:46 pm 

i dont know if i ordered the wrong size or what, but i spent like a half hour trying to get it on and couldnt get it to fit right.
i give up! sticking to disposables.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:10 pm 

I had the same experience the one time I tried cloth diapers. I felt like I literally flushed money down the drain.

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:33 pm 

There is a learning curve to getting cloth diapers pinned on correctly.

If you have to use a laundromat, there is little or no cost savings either.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:58 pm 

If they work for other people, that's fine. Some years ago, I bought some flannel pull-ons, which are no longer even carried by the company from which I bought them. I am physically unable to deal with pins. I wanted to save money and reduce the amount of personal hygiene trash, about which other household members were complaining.

One very thick pull on was not enough, and I already felt as if I was wearing a blanket. Even though technically I was wearing the right size, I could never find a cover pant that didn't billow out in the front, not go high up enough in the back, wasn't uncomfortably tight around the leg holes, and was machine washable. I already live with chronic pain. I don't need more unnecessary discomfort. I'm employed. I have other medical issues and disabilities. I don't have the time or physical energy to hand wash and wait for things to dry each and every time. I'm also a woman. Dealing with stains from bladder incon, occasional bowel incon, and menstrual blood is just too much effort, and I couldn't wear them during the day while out anyway, because no time or physical access to change, no place to store extras, and my existing clothes do not fit over them. I can't replace an entire work wardrobe for this.

Because I don't waste things, I continue to keep the three I have for use at home in emergency if I am low on disposables and waiting for a shipment. Since that isn't often, I don't expect these things will wear out for years, but I'm not buying more from any place else anytime soon.

Other people's experiences vary, and that's fine. Do what works for you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:27 am 

I think cloth diapers are great, they are super comfortable and easy to adjust for a nights sleep, but I need help to use them because of health issues. I wished they worked for me ,but they don't. My poor garage man must have 21 inch biceps from carrying our garbage.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:38 pm 

When I first began having issues I stumbled across the diaper primer here and was interested in using cloth diapers. I listened to the recommendation about diaper service and called around, asking the services if they handled adults. I was either laughed at or treated like some sort of freak, which was pretty humiliating. I ordered some from Angel Fluff Diaper Company, after working with their customer service representative so I could try cloth diapers for my nighttime issues. When they arrived they didn't fit, not even close and when I complained I was told that there were no refunds because diapers were legally underwear and non-returnable. Talk about a waste of money! Least the mattress cover I bought there lasted several years!!!

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:02 pm 

I read the advice about ordering a little bit bigger than you think you need. Nonetheless, my first cloth diaper was more snug than I liked. Fortunately I had ordered only one to test before ordering more.

Amen to the learning curve. You all have read my questions.

--John

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:58 pm 

There is definitely a learning curve to using cloth diapers successfully. Learning to pin them on, remembering not to leave any spare fabric outside the plastic pant that could wick moisture onto furniture or clothing, lubricating pins by inserting them into a bar of soap first, etc.. And you need ready access to a high capacity washer that will do an acceptable job. However, if you persist, the payoff, as far as I'm concerned, can be considerable. I have not found a disposable that allows me to go to sleep unconcerned about overnight security and coverage. Because I limit my use of disposables to vacations, I return from them somewhat sleep-deprived, and need several days of full-night's sleep to recover.

I understand the frustrations that accompany first-time use of cloth diapers; however, if cloth diapers are appropriate to your situation, please give them a good trial.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:34 pm 

Hopefully Rob will have good things about an All-In-One option which makes this an easier option! :) 8)

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:33 am 

From the beginning to now I have found putting on cloth diapers no harder than putting on disposable diapers. I spread it out, make a simple fold at the crotch, lay down on it, powder up and then pull it up and pin it on. Pull on or snap on the plastic pants and done. I wear two night weight diapers to bed and during the day one night weight. My jeans barely show any diaper bulge and I am more comfortable in cloth diapers than any disposable diaper I ever tried. And like everyone here I tried and tried to find that "perfect diaper. None are perfect. But for me cloth diapers and plastic pants are the best I have worn. Soft cotton, very absorbent, I am never out of diapers, I save at least $6.00/day (add that up) And almost no leaks in the day and None at night. Disposables have a place, obviously, but on any normal day I have not found a diaper that meets my expectations better that a cloth diaper. This diaper "game" is one of personal preference so me telling someone to use cloth diapers is just dumb. When we have found what works it not only does the job but also gives us confidence and a better feeling about our selves and that puts us at ease. Find what works and go with it. Papa