www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:08 pm 

I really like the reusability of cloth. I don't waste diapers. I don't need to worry about ripping off a tab. I can combine different elements to create the perfect absorbency and be really comfortable. I can retain a sense of dignity because these resemble undewear more than disposable diapers do. But, they can be darn complciated. What detergent to use. How absorbent is this material vs that material. there is no "Drop system". Ecoable was the first to give estimates on absorbency of cloth, and Real world inconitinece was also a pioneer in giving numbers to the clot hdiapers. But really, how the heck can you tell how many ounces an episode is? You can't! All I know is, my bladder is releasing and I can tell whetehr it jut a trickle, or if its a more sustained stream. That's it. I have no idea whether it will max out the diaper. The only way I got numbers on each episode was to stand around with a urinal under myself naked and measure episodes. But I digress. We were talking about hte complexity of cloth. How long you need to wash it for. How many diapers to put in the washing machine at one time. What detergent should I use? how much should I use? How big should the load be? etc.

Keeping all that handled can be a challenge. But for me, i need a challege. I like to think that a challenge is worth it because it saves the enviorment. One less dispoasble ends up in a landfill. Here is my challenge.. I use up all the disposables I have and dont buy any more unless I am travleing. Period. Challenge accepted.

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:36 pm 

Challenge accepted. Spend some time reading your washer's manual, with an eye to the settings to use for diapers. I use the settings for hot water, bleach, and extended wash time. The number of diapers in a typical load depends on how soiled they are, and how used and ratty some of them are. The washer will accommodate more old, ratty diapers than newer, heavier diapers. Like you, I save disposables for vacations and other occasions when I expect to spend extended time in venues that do not have ready access to handicapped accessible restrooms.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:17 pm 

Hey Rob. Nice challenge! I don't need to "take it on" cause I am a big cloth believer! Use them 24/7 save for when I am out for extended periods or traveling. Frankly I feel better in cloth than a dispo; and when I return from traveling, I can't wait to get back into cloth (go figure).

As for washing, allow me to share what works for me. I have one of the fancy LG washers that you can download various wash cycles into. So I found one specifically for diapers. The cycle involves a prewash/prerinse followed by a soak, then a wash, and then 4 (yes, FOUR) rinse cycles. The entire cycle runs for about 3.5-4 hours. Doesn't consume a lot of resources; BUT, it sure is worth it! Since using this custom cycle, I have never had to strip the diapers again. And they are devoid of ammonia and soap smells. It has been a *god-send*!

Blessings, ILuvLA.