www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:39 am 

Anyone here ever have botox injections in the urinary sphincter to help with overflow issues? Would you be willing to share your experiences or PM me to share?

Obviously I am asking because I'm starting to experience more overflow challenges with a sphincter that is not opening up like it should. And this on top of mixed incon that I've had for years now. A new urologist had recommended to "try" this but I am loathe to experiment on myself once again. And after "trying" so many medical procedures that had little or no result, I'm just to tired to "try something else".

So I come to this wonderful group to see what experiences others might have had with this. Anything you all share will be greatly appreciated!

Blessings, ILuvLA.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:02 am 

Is the intention to keep the sphincter open? That's what putting botox there does (as opposed to the bladder wall, which reduces spasms).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:27 am 

HumanFly wrote:
Is the intention to keep the sphincter open? That's what putting botox there does (as opposed to the bladder wall, which reduces spasms).

That’s exactly the intention.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:22 am 

I suggest you do some Google searches for medical studies on the outcomes of Botox treatment for your issues. While there are many success stories, you may find that more patients were dissatisfied than the doctors might suggest.

For example, the surgeon may consider a procedure to be a success as all went per plan, there is no infection, and the patient is recovering normally. From the patient's point-of-view, incontinence was somewhat reduced but he still has to wear a diaper and therefore is not happy with that outcome.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:42 pm 

I had Botox injections in 1998-1999 for neurogenic bladder. They worked pretty much advertised; however, they wore off after successively diminished periods of time, eventually necessitating the sphincterotomy which solved my problem in August, 1999. My current urologist recommended Botox treatment last August; however, the health insurance carrier and two pharmaceutical manufacturers dithered, and threw so many roadblocks, it seemed as though they really did not want to sell their product. I'm hoping for a prostatectomy/sphincterotomy before Christmas.