www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Incontinence for Grandma
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:43 am 

My grandma is suffering from incontinence. She refuses to use diapers. She considers using diapers as something very bad. She always tells that she has not grown that old to use diapers. Even though she tells all these things, she never gets control over her urine. Whenever she feels to pee, she runs to the bathroom by then half of the urine might have fallen on the floor and the rest in the bathroom. Due to continuous flushing, the flush is not working properly. There are also issues with the faucets and toilet taps. I'm planning on contact emergency plumbing services for getting the flush and taps repaired. I would like to know how to make my grandma understand the use of diapers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:14 am 

Your grandma probably grow up in the time where things like this is not talked about. My urologist even told me the older generation are very reluctant when it comes to bladder issues. There are many websites geared towards older people talking about how to deal with this. I am not sure how you grandmother will react to this, but maybe talk to her about this site and let her know there are many age groups here from early 20's and up. I never thought I would have to wear diapers until maybe 80 or 90, but due to a stroke here I am.

Do you know if your grandmother has talked to her doctor about this issue? There could be something else going on causing this problem also.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:28 pm 

It can be hard to accept sometimes I can understand the thought process
I think it can be helpful to know that there are young people who also deal with it
I myself am in a position where your grandma might be more active than me and I mostly get around with a caregiver so age isn't a reason not to ask for help or accept it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:41 pm 

I would suggest getting her to try a premium pull-up like Northshore's GoSupreme or Abena's Abri-Flex. If there is a budget issue almost any pull-up would be better than nothing in this case. In fact the cheaper pull-ups even look a bit more like frilly underwear that may be "acceptable" to your grandmother. Although pull-ups generally don't have great capacity they would have more than enough to take care of a leaky run to the bathroom and would facilitate using the bathroom normally when she gets there. Also changing out of a wet pull-up would be very familiar to changing regular underwear. Hopefully this would be a great first step toward getting her to accept a full tape-up diaper which it sounds like what might really be needed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:46 pm 

I would also suggest to try to give her some kind of pullup. Call it anything but a diaper.
There are panties with padding for sale, for example at adultclothdiaper.com for lighter incontinence.
Maybe she would accept that kind of ladies underwear.