www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:25 pm 

Hi All,

Is there a likelihood that, over time, one can become increasingly dependent on catheters? My urologist has suggested that I may have to self-cath nightly before bed to reduce or eliminate bed wetting. As I consider this, I'm wondering if, once I start that process, will my ability to urinate normally during the day diminish to the point that I will need a catheter 24/7? Or could I cath nightly indefinitely without losing control during the day?

Sorry if I'm "overposting" on many different topics, but my wife and I have many questions as we navigate through this situation.

Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:52 am 

5bugles,

There is no medical evidence of which I am aware that indicates a growing dependency on intermittent catheterization. In fact, as I recently posted in another topic, my urologist has said that I now can stop self-catheterizing as my post-void residuals have dropped to healthy levels. :D I attribute that largely to Kegel exercises (ask your doctor about them) and daily timed-voiding where I work to maintain control.

Don't worry about "over posting". We all had (and often continue to have) many questions. This is a good place to get answers, or at least recommendations.

Do search the old messages in the archives and the New Diaper Primer and my white paper "An Introduction to Adult Diapers, their Selection and Wear." in the Articles.

--John

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:15 am 

Thanks, John. I did find your post about your experience...congrats! I have been doing Kegels, which have helped me regain control during the day to the point that I don't wear any pads/guards as long as I know I have easy access to a restroom. I plan to talk more about catheters when I go back to my urologist next week.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:29 am 

A Foley, if it is kept in long enough, will force the external sphincter to stay open briefly after it has been removed. Intermittent catheterization will not have that effect, but can cause bladder-urethral infections, which can be far worse.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:00 pm 

If a folly catheter is left in place for a period of time the bladder muscles become weak (not having to stretch). What we did in the hospital is to clamp the drainage tube to make the bladder expand. We would then open the drain and then reclamp it. After several times this would allow the bladder to return to normal.

If you use an intermittent catheter you are naturally stretching your bladder, so it should not cause any problem, as long as you matinee a sterile field

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:55 pm 

Thanks all, for your input. I will find out more on my next visit to the urologist Monday.