www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:48 am 

John, I use Bard brand foley supplies. I have almost zero experience with anything but Bard. Leg bags, foley's, foley trays, night time bags, you name it. I like the 19oz medium Bard leg bag which fits in the Urocare leg bag holder. I have ordered a sample of a different leg bag just to see if I'm missing out on something different, we'll see. As for removal of the condom.......I don't know.....good luck. Removing the foley is pretty easy, though I've only done it once myself because it makes me queasy so the wife puts it in and takes it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:18 am 

JD,

Perhaps the manufacturers have solved this, but I doubt it. Any adhesive that truly secures an external catheter, enough to prevent a leakage accident, will make the sheath difficult to remove. Ask a pharmacist. Perhaps nail polish remover would work, but consult a medical professional before you try it, because there might be a chemical reaction that you would want to avoid. Good luck and report back.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:21 pm 

Patrick, nail polish?? :shock: Ouch!

Those condom adhesives are designed to hold for 24 hours or even more. As I am wearing mine for only about 10 hours, could that have contributed to the adhesive being more sticky than desired?

I read somewhere (forget where) that someone was carefully applying a very small amount of powder to part of his penis to reduce the overall adhesion. It makes sense but seems difficult to judge just how much is too much. Too much powder and too little adhesion will cause me to end up with a wet bed and an unhappy wife. :(

For fear of a catheter leak, I still am sleeping on top of two cloth diapers, just in case. I may pay closer attention to exactly how far up the penis the adhesive comes and try to powder only a portion of that.

Any other ideas, guys (or gals, too)

--John

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:58 pm 

Polish remover, actually (acetone, I think), but that stuff is so nasty - I don't think I'd put it on my genitalia. A small amount of rubbing alcohol on a paper towel, maybe? (And don't rub hard.) Bear in mind that I've never seen a condom catheter - only Foleys, and I detest them!

Wetters

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:54 am 

New day, another leak. However, I made it through the night sleeping well and with no leaks. That part seems reliable. Last night I ran the tubing loosely through a large adult diaper pin which was attached to the bottom sheet to hold it more or less in place and was not bothered by the tubing. :D

After changing to a day bag and eating breakfast, I went into the bathroom to wash up and realized that my bag was draining onto the bottom of my socks, sweats, and onto the floor. Fortunately the floor was linoleum. I can't blame the bag as it was totally my fault. After I washed the leg bag yesterday, I must have left the drain valve in its "open" position and forgot to check it when I put it on this morning (I hate having to think just after I get up and before I have had my coffee! :x). I would rather have something that is visually obvious when it is "open" or "closed."

It seems that I am learning the hard way. At least I was making my mistakes at home.

I think I will order a Netti leg bag holder as it states that it accommodates most brands of bags, plus a fabric band to hold the catheter tubing in place on my thigh. Later, I may try to totally change bag plus holder to the UroCare system, but I will have to work things out with my urologist and supplier.

Later today I again will fight the battle of trying to get the condom off my penis. This could be the subject of several bad jokes, but it is not funny. :( I still have no good solution.

--John

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:35 pm 

John, I hope it goes better today. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer/supplier of the cath, or Googling the brand of adhesive to see if they recommend a particular solvent? Maybe they've recognized a marketing opportunity and actually sell something for that purpose.

Wetters

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:47 pm 

Wetters, I'll do that. Same problem today. Tried alcohol, Vaseline, and stood in a hot shower good I have a sense of humor as I looked like the subject of a bad joke.

Meanwhile I'll try powder.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:41 pm 
Admin

JD, the adhesive is strong, no doubt, but if you go the 24 hours, it will be moderately easier to remove. I tens to stretch it off, as in pull it out from the tom, and then down at the same time, slowly of course, and it detaches most times with no major issues. They take time to learn the tricks to using them, but the freedom is a bonus when you get it! They also make a wipe "Adhesive remover" which I use as a last resort, most likely it is Acetone, but has a fruity smell! Skin prep also helps with removal. 8) Puffy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:05 am 

Puffy, what you say about the condom loosening up with longer wear makes sense. Accumulating perspiration and skin oils should tend to loosen the adhesive somewhat. Unfortunately, as I also am bowel incontinent, at a certain point I need to "gird my loins" and be prepared for a possible bowel accident (although I seem to have that reasonably under control right now).

Last night I tried putting baby powder on my penis (start of another bad joke?). Unfortunately, when I gave the condom a tug to be sure that it was secure, it slipped off! :(

So, having no other good ideas at the time, I just put the condom on normally and it adhered normally. This morning I am back to square one. I skipped church as I didn't have time to get the condom off and am not yet willing to risk wearing the system in a public social setting.

Soon I have to go through my morning enema procedure and shower. I'll cut the end off of the condom and remove as much of it as possible before getting into the shower, hoping that will help a little.

Monday I'll call the manufacturer and my medical supply house and ask for suggestions.

One thought - I used the measuring scale provided by the manufacturer to order my supply. My condom fits "snugly." Where it fits, it compresses the shaft of the penis slightly. Should I try a larger size?

On the positive side, I had no leaks from either the bed bag or the leg bag. :D My confidence in the system is increasing.

I have ordered some wide Velcro fabric straps to more comfortably and reliably support the leg bag, plus a Velcro fabric strap to hold the tube in place on the leg. After I try that I plan to order a Netti leg bag holder.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and keep them coming.

--John

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:23 pm 

I'm still wearing the shaft of the condom. :( I read elsewhere a recommendation to apply alcohol with a cotton ball. I'll try that next when I change into my diaper.

While searching in other communities and forums for a solution, I also came across a recommendation from an SCI nurse experienced with the use of condom catheters to use a skin prep before applying the catheter to both protect the skin from the adhesive and make it easier to remove. Supposedly it also improves the adhesion. Is anyone using this or anything similar?

In my desperation, I already have ordered a box of Smith & Nephew SKIN PREP Protective Wipes and will report on the results.

I have an appointment with my new dermatologist for an all-body scan tomorrow. I definitely will skip the external catheter tonight. I don't want to risk showing up with a condom stuck to my penis - particularly as the dermatologist is female. :D

When you are incontinent, it definitely helps to have a sense of humor!

--John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next