www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:40 pm 
Admin

It sounds like either a UTI or you are allergic to latex. I sure hope you get ahold of your doctor soon.
Being in pain really sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:58 am 

Gp says latex allergy would be more obvious. They want me to drop off a sample at the Dr...who h I forgot to sort doh. I'm going to have to ask a friend to do it first because I can't afford to pay a carer to go pick up the pot, bring it back then take it to the gp and go chemist again!

The pain has been here from the start so it's unlikely to be just infection causing it but hey ho, will take docs word for it first.

Tried leg bags yesterday. Didn't work. Am not happy as wanted a way to be discreet around guests. As I'm lying down all the time it just didn't flow properly and mynbladder started to hurt. I was dubious in first place but district nurse seemed to think it would be fine. First bag leaked on my leg too! Will try again soon but for less time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:30 am 

I was just in quite a bit of pain from the catheter and decided to see if I could relieve it. I wiggled it around and it definitely hurt at neck of bladder - not where it is inserted (though that hurts when washing)

Anyway, I pushed catheter in a little more so that the balloon isn't touching bladder and - instant relief. I think pain wise the balloon is irritating the bladder neck/top of urethra. Hopefully it will still function with it pushed in slightly. It's only now the pain had nearly stopped that i am realising just how bad and incessant it is!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:15 am 

Things have improved quite a lot. No more waking up with pain like singing nettles in my urethra. no more catheter stopping working. Baclofen increase did the trick. In the end just a 5mg increase as 10mg caused side effects. Still in more pain than I should be with it but still much better. I think the stinging is when the balloon put pressure on bladder neck.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:10 pm 

Tangerine, I'm glad you've had relief!! I've had some ups and downs with catheters. I'm a regular catheter user as it's the only thing besides diapers that improves my symptoms. My problem was that I had a lot of irritation at the tip of my equipment if you catch my drift. The only thing that really caused some improvement was to tough it out without catheters for 2 weeks and let things heal up. It seems to have done the trick. Also I've had much better luck with 100% silicone foley type catheters. I have used the Duette catheter but have just as much luck with the Bard Lubri-Sil IC Foley..........the latex/elastomer coated foleys only work for a short time for me before they cause irritation......on rare occasions I get bladder dome irritation and bleeding from the tip of the catheter. That is where the Duette has a distinct advantage. Anyway.....best of luck to you.....hope all works out....I'm still new to the catheter thing. Only been using them for 3 months so I'm still figuring out what works well for me as well

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:31 am 

Hi Tangerine!
I have been wearing a Foley for a year and a half. I too wear the Duette Foley.
The most pain I ever had with a Foley was with latex one. When it was removed the pain stopped. Have you had a silicon one put in? They are better. I did read that you can't stand silicon.
The biggest problem I had was spasms. I was on a medicine for it and the spasms finally subsided. Now I don't feel my Foley.
I too had severe retention problems.
I hope something works out for you!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:38 am 

Thanks. The silicone thing is annpying. I know whenn I had silicone nose pads on glasses my nose went red and sore. if I have a decent quality silicone phone case I can hold I got quite a while but a cheap ones makes me sore. So maybe a silicone catheter would be ok ...but it's a big risk to take!

Antibiotics today I think. They're saying I have growth but are putting it down to that just being what catheters do so only treating as its symptomatic. I was asked what I wanted to do...but I have a foot infection too so best get both treated.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:07 pm 

Since I've had this infection I've been having several 'accidents' a day. My bladder is filling up and making its own way out. I've had 3 bladder washes so it's not blocked and the balloon has been checked and hasn't deflated. The nurses are clueless as to how to help. Some days more is coming out of my urethra than the catheter. The other day I was actually able to urinate around the catheter in to a bed pan as I was desperate. That shouldn't be possible!! The spasms are really painful before leaking. it feels like horrible painful diorreah is coming (sorry!). I discovered that if I put light pressure on the catheter then either push or spasm...it just leaks out as if there is no catheter there.

Anyone have any thoughts please? Being back in slip nappy pads is annoying and exhausting so bad for my condition. The only thing I can think is that the urethra has gotten bigger with the infection meaning the catheter is currently not big enough?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:19 pm 

Sorry but this sounds like something that needs a doctor to sort out - preferably a urologist. You need to get yourself referred by your GP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:56 pm 

The problem is, I'm bedbound and can't sit up so can't travel to the hospital and urology discharged me!

I might see if my gp can get advise about it from elsewhere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next