www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:33 am 

I would like to try cloth, primarily for overnight, as the expense of good quality disposables is getting a bit much. I am female.

Since I'm a relatively new user of incontinence protection, (for bladder urgency as a secondary effect of IBS, infrequent bowel incontinence-- don't wet in sleep, but often can't get up fast enough in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning), what's a reasonable small quantity to try out with any particular brand?

I'm willing to buy good quality, but don't want to spend a lot on a large quantity until I know what works for me. Also, for those of you who layer cloth and disposable, does it make a difference which one you layer over the other?

Thanks.

Post subject: Cloth and layering
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:23 pm 
Admin

Hello zenute, I am fairly new to using cloth at night, since the beginning of the year or so, and it certainly takes some time to find out just how many layers you will need on any given night. I bought the pull-on type from Gabby's and Kins, and got one with the waterproof cover included, the rest I use a coverpant. Personally I like the Kins better, they are just like a THICK pair of underwear, no loose flap in the middle like the Gabby's. I can get throuth the night with just the pull-on on a lighter night, but use a couple of cloth baby diapers as stuffers/liners for heavier nights, works very well for me. There are several others on the forum who have been at this a lot longer then I have, and have most likely many more bits and pieces of advice to give. I also find a disposable for the worst nights under the cloth pull-on works for alomost any fluid output I will have during the night, not often I have to resort to that level, but it is all trial and error to see what works for me. Hope that helps, feel free to ask anything I have missed, :D Puffy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:06 pm 

I to have one of the pull-on cloth diapers from Kins. It is comfortable and holds a respectable amount. I often use it at night or if I'm just hanging around home on the weekends. Cloth is the best way to go if you are an active or side sleeper, no worries about wetting when in the wrong position. The great thing about pull-ons is that you can get them down pretty quickly if you do make it to the toilet. No pins or velcro to fuss with.

There are lots of all-in-one cloth diapers available, but I have always stuck with separate plastic pants. IMO they provide much better leakage protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:53 pm 

For each of us it is different Trial and Error With cloth you just pin or pull one on - if it is not enough go to two or a booster. Very easy to adjust and you do not have to switch brands just add what you need. Papa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:08 pm 

Thanks for the helpful information so far. I guess I should clarify my question. I'm not so much asking about how many layers to wear, which I know is individual. I'd like some input on how many pull ons or cover pants or all in ones, etc. to buy initially to try out.

Obviously, since they're reusable, it's an advantage over spending the same amount of money on disposables, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on a large supply of cloth and then realize that I really don't like the product design for some reason. Should I buy a few each from several different vendors or are the major brands (Gabbys, Kins, Loving Comfort, etc.) basically the same?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:18 pm 
Admin

Quote - Should I buy a few each from several different vendors or are the major brands (Gabbys, Kins, Loving Comfort, etc.) basically the same?

That is what I did, got one of each pull-on and one all in one with the cover, and tried them to see what ones worked/fit/felt best on me. The Gabby style has a liner that is only attached at the front and rear top edge, and is loose down the middle, the kins is all sewn up together which I like best. A separate cover pant is the way to go, the all in one works ok, but not as well as separate pieces. I never tried the Loving Comfort as of yet, Puffy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:38 am 

I would suggest that you try to find cloth diapers that are ALL cloth and not filled with anything like poly, stay with pure cotton. Adultclothdiaper.com also makes a very good diaper. Papa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:19 pm 

zenute wrote:
Thanks for the helpful information so far. I guess I should clarify my question. I'm not so much asking about how many layers to wear, which I know is individual. I'd like some input on how many pull ons or cover pants or all in ones, etc. to buy initially to try out.

Obviously, since they're reusable, it's an advantage over spending the same amount of money on disposables, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on a large supply of cloth and then realize that I really don't like the product design for some reason. Should I buy a few each from several different vendors or are the major brands (Gabbys, Kins, Loving Comfort, etc.) basically the same?

Thanks.

Ah...

I bought mine one at a time over a few years and now I have enough that I can get through a week using only cloth if I want to. Six diapers (two pull-on, two pin-on, two velcro) and four pairs of plastic pants. Our washer is small and my wife doesn't like soggy diapers piling up so I launder them two at a time. My wife actually made the two pin-on ones for me, so all we had to pay for was materials (which can be had for surprisingly cheap).

As some others have said, finding the product(s) that work best for you involves a lot of trial and error. Everyone's needs and tastes are different and each product is unique in its own ways.

The major brands all make quality products, so its really up to you to discover what suits you the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:54 pm 
Admin

Zenute,
I too tried cloth. I tried two Leakmaster all-in-one's and two flannel prefolds from Adult Cloth Diaper. The Leakmasters were the master of leaks all right. Urine leaked out the leg hole of the diaper into my bed. It said on the website no need to wear plastic pants but they were definitely required with these because there would be pee everywhere. As far as the prefolds, they didn't hold alot of urine even though they were made for nighttime voids. I wore plastic pants with them but they could not handle repeat voids. Also, my wife had to do the pins. I could not put the diaper on myself. This was a drawback for me. Also I hated the laundry. THe diapers smelled terrible like urine and no matter how much I washed them and stripped them, they still smelled like ammonia. My wife used cloth diapers on our kids and new what she was doing. She could not get the smell out. This was drawback number 2. I also have frequent diarrhea and bowel incontinence. I have to be able to get the diaper off fairly quickly. I do not want to clean up diarrhea out of a cloth diaper. This was drawback number 3. So to me, disposable diapers may be more expensive in the long run, but they are just easier for me. When I soil it, I can just take it off and throw it away. I know disposables have their drawbacks too, I just think they are easier.

Post subject: leaks an all in one
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:38 am 

all in one has been i use for 50 years they are for mobile people were gravity help it pool in crotch an butt
not for night use unless a small amount is lost this goes for pull up too
adc sells night time gauge pre folds use a extra liner or two if large amounts Accra pp pants high back no too small or big will work :lol: 8)