www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:28 pm 

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for plastic pants over my night diaper. Long story short, I’ll be going on my first cruise this summer and want to make sure I am well protected. I use diapers now and don’t regularly have any issues with leaks but I fear the combo of traveling, adjusted sleep pattern, and alcohol could effect that. As a result I’m just looking for something to have on over my diaper as a back-up.

I typically run hot at night so something breathable would be preferred if possible.

Or would i just be better of bringing some disposable bed pads with me?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:44 pm 

I personally use pul pants and a disposable chux pad. It may be a bit overkill for some but it has never done me wrong! Enjoy your cruise.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:45 pm 

JohnnyKaratesNinjas wrote:
Hi all,

Hey! :-)

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for plastic pants over my night diaper.

I'm thinking about that, just from the physics standpoint. My guess is that if you really soak it, plastic pants aren't necessarily going to help much. My feeling would be you need some extra absorbency in there somehow. Bed pads are one way of getting some extra absorbency. Another way is to add a booster inside the diaper. Another way is to double diaper (just use whatever you normally use, but put on two of them, with some slits cut in the inner diaper).

I guess we all have nights when we just have this feeling that we might need that little bit extra. I know I have nights like that. I don't really do anything all that different or fancy on those nights, I just try to get "more". More layers, more absorbency.

Like justej said, enjoy the cruise!! It sounds awesome, especially after how the past couple years have been for everyone. Glad you're getting to go out and see the big world out there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:53 pm 

justej wrote:
I personally use pul pants and a disposable chux pad. It may be a bit overkill for some but it has never done me wrong! Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the suggestions! Is there a particular brand of each you use or would recommend?

Thanks! I’m so excited for it as I love traveling but this will be the first cruise for both me and my wife. Other than the bedwetting concerns, I can’t wait!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:57 pm 

bcca wrote:
Hi all,

Hey! :-)

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for plastic pants over my night diaper.

I'm thinking about that, just from the physics standpoint. My guess is that if you really soak it, plastic pants aren't necessarily going to help much. My feeling would be you need some extra absorbency in there somehow. Bed pads are one way of getting some extra absorbency. Another way is to add a booster inside the diaper. Another way is to double diaper (just use whatever you normally use, but put on two of them, with some slits cut in the inner diaper).

I guess we all have nights when we just have this feeling that we might need that little bit extra. I know I have nights like that. I don't really do anything all that different or fancy on those nights, I just try to get "more". More layers, more absorbency.

Like justej said, enjoy the cruise!! It sounds awesome, especially after how the past couple years have been for everyone. Glad you're getting to go out and see the big world out there.

The whole “how much will plastic pants actually work if I flood my diaper bad enough” is what is pushing me towards thing a bed pad may just be the better option.

I currently use Seni Super Plus so they bit not on thicker side so idk if 2 will be comfortable haha but perhaps I can use one of my thinner Molicares under it and sorta double up that!

What is usually your way/combo of adding layers? Any particular brands?

And thank you! My wife and I love traveling and the last 2 years has been hard with restrictions often at places in one way or another so we’re excited to try something new and open up new traveling doors!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:15 pm 

What is usually your way/combo of adding layers? Any particular brands?

I don't have a brand preference. If I did, I'd tell you, but I honestly don't :-) Right now I buy everything from Rearz, so I get "whatever boosters Rearz has". I guess that's https://rearz.ca/rearz-incontrol-booste ... unscented/

I used to buy everything from XP Medical, so I got whatever boosters they had. And that was fine too.

I don't tend to double diaper these days, but I would happily do it if I were in a situation where I ran out of booster pads or whatever. My feeling is it's about equivalent.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:25 pm 

Plastic or PUL pants don't hold moisture or leaks. That's what the material in the diaper does. If you are past capacity you will get a leak. Tight fitting PUL pants or fixing pants might hold the diaper closer to your body and allow more of the diaper's capacity to be used. Once much moisture gets between the outside of a disposable and the plastic or PUL pant you are very likely to get leaks at the legs or waist....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:51 pm 

For nighttime use I like to put a Walmart Flour Sack Towel (actually just a 28" x 28" thin 100% cotton cloth) folded into a 12 layer pad inside my premium diaper. Over that I wear a Leakmaster PUL pant that I purchase from Adult Cloth Diaper company. The "pad" will very quickly absorb a flood and then transfer it to the outer diaper since its acquisition rate is far greater than any disposable, you can even add two pads if you think you will need it but I never had, and I'm a side sleeper. I guess to be super safe you could put one inside and one outside your diaper, and then with the PUL pant I can hardly imagine a leak getting by that setup. The cost for ten is only $10 so they are actually even disposable, although when I use them at home I just rinse them in the sink, hang to dry, and then put them in the regular laundry. This system has worked great for me for years with no leaks at all.