www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:12 am 

I tried using cloth back disposables for when I'm out, mainly to combat rashes, and feel cooler, but I just don't feel as safe. With my further degraded control I'm making it to the bathroom less than usual so I need to pay more attention to what I'm wearing. A couple of leaks destroyed the confidence I had (not exactly the cloth-backed fault). I don't know I feel safer wearing what I know has worked for me in the past. Abena M4 has been reliable but the capacity of NS Supreme seems better. I don't like to push the limits but in a few instances lately I've been in some sketchy situations. I don't always know when I'm about to have an accident, but I know when it's happening and geez that's a crappy feeling to wonder if your stuff is going to hold up or not.

Maybe it's a mind thing but I just feel better with plastic.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:47 am 

I agree, I too feel safer with plastic backed diapers. Probably because that's the only kind of disposable diapers that were available when I started wearing them. I tried several brands of breathable diapers when they first hit the market and experienced the damp clothing and outright wetness seeping out of the diaper while sitting. I prefer plastic backed diapers and will continue to use them as long as they are available and cost effective.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:06 am 

Jenn wrote:
I tried several brands of breathable diapers when they first hit the market and experienced the damp clothing and outright wetness seeping out of the diaper while sitting.

Exactly. I tried a lot of things but I don't know. To be honest I don't think it was all that much of an improvement for breathability.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:52 pm 

May I intrude here?

Cloth diapers with polyurethane/polyester laminate overpants combine the absorbency and breathability of the best disposables, and are cheaper too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:05 pm 

Patrick wrote:
May I intrude here?

Ha! Yes you may Patrick, please do!

I like using cloth around the house, and especially at night. When I'm out I prefer not to have to deal with it though. Also last few weeks I've relying on my disposable stash a bit more because of whatever is going on with me has made it feel like more of a chore to do laundry. I'm wiped out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:01 pm 

CityGardener wrote:
... Also last few weeks I've relying on my disposable stash a bit more because of whatever is going on with me has made it feel like more of a chore to do laundry. I'm wiped out.

I'm guessing from your name that you live in a city. Many of them have cloth diaper services for infants, and they will do adult diapers as well. Worth looking in to. Won't work for me, as a country mouse.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:59 pm 

WetDad wrote:
I'm guessing from your name that you live in a city. Many of them have cloth diaper services for infants, and they will do adult diapers as well. Worth looking in to. Won't work for me, as a country mouse.

Ha! Actually I'm more of a suburban rat. The name I guess comes from my hobby of (trying) to grow food. I guess I'm an Suburban Farmer. I am still pretty close to the metropolitan though.

That is a pretty good tip. I bet there are other folks here that could help out too. I'm hoping that I can recover and not have this be something that slows me down any. I'm not ready to be done working, or giving up certain hobbies.
I'm hoping they get me figured out and that there is options for treatments. If it's something in my neck or back then I could get that fixed. If it's MS then I'll fight that too. My heart is healthy, and so far no cancer, so I am just going to keep moving.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:46 am 

I too am a hobby gardener. When I carry my box or shopping bag of produce down the street, the neighbors who see me run inside, lock their doors, and pull their drapes. The labor of spading, weeding, and harvesting are good physical therapy; fresh garden produce on the table are a luxury non-gardeners cannot know, and husbanding the land, donating its produce to the the less fortunate makes me feel good too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:57 am 

Patrick wrote:
When I carry my box or shopping bag of produce down the street, the neighbors who see me run inside, lock their doors, and pull their drapes.

Haha! I'm sure that is because your peppers are just way too spicy for them.

You said it too with the exercise stuff. For me, up till now that exercise has been for my brain. It's a quiet meditation. There's probably some electrical response to my bare feet in the dirt. It corrects the frequency from the chaos of technology. It's a good motivator for me too now. I have to kind of push through the initial fatigue, to get flowing and feeling better, but not letting my plants die is a great way for me to get off my butt.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:13 pm 

We grow tomatoes, zucchini, and many herbs each year. Our vegetable garden is small, but our cut flower garden is huge. It's my wife's choice, as she is the real gardener. I'm just the help. We have harvested our garlic for the year, and they are drying in the greenhouse where the deer can't get them.

We also have a number of fruit trees that we share with the deer. They get the low hangers, and we get the rest. Then when the fruit starts to get over ripe, I shake the tree real good and let them fall to the ground. The next morning, they are all gone.