www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:33 pm 

I have urge incontinence since few years. When the problem started most of times I still manage to hold on enough to reach the toilet on time, and when the leakage appeared was very small and I used light pads. But it became worst and had some accidents in which I almost empty my bladder.

Now I leak several times a week, mostly very small quantity, but there are other moments in which I cannot hold at all, and once the leak starts I cannot stop it. These big accidents are unpredictable, I can have only one in two weeks, or several in the same day,

After having couple of those big accidents I started to use the highest absorbency pads I found in the shops around (as Tena Lady Maxi o similar for other brands) They do the work if I can change after the accident before I can have a second one. But I have a problem with them, even if some of them have an adhesive strip, after going one or two times to the toilet, they start to move from the position and also start to wrinkle and bend in the crotch area, and it's difficult to put it "flat" again and also fit them properly in place. Those pads are larger and thicker than the ligth ones I used at the beginning and perhaps more difficult to deal with (??? I don't know).Due to this in several ocassions they leacked and I wet my pants. Putting a new pad every time I go to the toilet doesn't look the best solution. In terms of money and the number of pads I must carry with me every day when outside.

For that reason I decided to try pull-ups. I find them more confortable except when I need to change them being outside home in public restroom (it's a nightmare sometimes) or even at the office, and I also need more space in my hand luggage (I travel a lot by plane due to my work).

Has any of you experienced this kind of problems with pads? Do you know other pad brands that could work better? I am a female (it can be different depending on the anatomy)

Perhaps I should definitely move to pull ups, but I must admit that there is also some "psycological effect"... being a woman I am used to pads for the period... but pull ups..., and they also sometimes become visible when bending :oops:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:58 pm 

Hi Simhi:
There are some very high quality/capacity pull-ups available, Abena Abri-Flex and Molicare Mobile to name two, that may have enough capacity for you. If they are not enough you can always add a booster pad that can be easily changed out (and replaced if needed) without having to remove the outer pull-up. Using a good quality flow-thru type booster pad (like available at Northshore Supply) you probably wouldn't have to even replace the pad after removing, you could then just use the pull-up for the next few hours. Of course your "mileage" may vary but it might be a good place to start.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:43 am 

If you discover that a higher capacity pullup could work for you, you might practice using them at home, with and without a booster pad, before venturing out, especially if you must fly for your employment. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:26 am 

I think pads will do often a better job then pull-up for a simple reason - they are ways easier to change. The problem is indeed to find the right ones and this is for males even more complicated then for women. I tried a lot until I found ones that work for me. More over the pants you wear over them to hold them in place are a very important part to make the whole think working. If you loose more then A view drop’s you need shaped pads and a slip that is tight enough to hold them in place. It is not necessary to use the net pants that often offered with them - the important point is, that the pants need to have a broader crotch and that they need to be elastic.

A starting-point for the pads could be here: https://www.northshorecare.com/adult-di ... eme-liners.

They are properly oversized for you, but this is something that you need to figure out by yourself - at the end it's propably often a compromise between security and comfort. Normally it should be possible to get samples from the companies or from a pharmacy so that you don’t need to buy a complete package.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:51 am 

I have urge urinary incontinence and experience major, full-bladder emptying leaks several times nearly every day and overnight. After experimenting with adhesive pads and pull-ups, I have settled on wearing a high-capacity tape-on adult disposable diaper. The diapers give me peace of mind. I can go wherever I want to go and do whatever I need or want to do without having worry about my trousers becoming visibly wet on the outside. In other words, I can lead a normal life without worry.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:20 pm 

I'm thinking of buying some NorthShore Booster Pads https://healthwick.ca/products/northshore-booster-pads.

I wear medium size pull-ups and have a waste size of about 37 inches. I'm thinking small or medium boosters.
  • Small - 4.25 x 13.5" - 30 per package, 6 packages per case
  • Medium - 5.25 x 16" - 30 per package, 4 packages per case
  • Large - 6 x 18" - 30 per package, 4 packages per case

I am most concerned about the width - 4.25 or the 5.25 inches. I'll use them in a medium pull-up, like the Abri Flex Premium. I want to avoid too much bulk between the legs but not so small that it doesn't stay in place.

What would you advise?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:48 am 

Wayne:
I've never had a problem with the booster pads moving even without using the adhesive strip. I'm much more concerned that the pads will compromise the standing leak guards. Therefore I use the small or extra small boosters. Another reason for not using the adhesive strip is that you can easily change out just the pad when needed.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:37 am 

Thank you for that.
Quote:
Another reason for not using the adhesive strip is that you can easily change out just the pad when needed.

Where I might use the pad would be to just remove the pad once used up and continue with the diaper after. It's just to buy a little extra time without the added bulk. Then the only thing I would need to bring to the park washroom is a plastic bag in a pocket for disposal.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:23 am 

Check out diapers that have velcro style tapes as you can untape and retape after you use the washroom they will also be easier to change in a stall or airplane bathroom if you have a full flood accident. Also you get the peace of mind that you can trust your diaper to do its job if you dont make it to the bathroom intime.

Plain coloured onesies really help hide your diaper and look like regular shirts so bending snd stretching is no longer a problem you can even wear a nicer top over top

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:17 am 

Thank you Robert for your recommendation. I have tried a sample diaper some time ago and quite liked the velcro belt. I still use the toilet when I can and the velcro nicely eliminates the tape issue as you say. I also find it surprising that the TENA Flex Super is reasonably priced if you want something lighter.

I have the Flex Maxi Briefs in my shopping cart but have yet to order it (my wife has a thing against briefs). But being able to change in a public washroom is probably going to decide it for me. It seems more practical to just use the Maxi with changes through the whole event. I think I'd have less bulge to worry about (or at least change it out). And then there is mobility..

I haven't tried these in an active setting, like playing badminton. But I would think that these would be more "mobile" than say a soggy GoSupreme. Sigh, there is so much to consider for a simple park event.