www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:11 pm 

So I recently have been using plastic backed briefs (NS Supreme) while out and lower quality single use briefs at home. The NS briefs are expensive, but I have found I need less of them compared to the lower quality briefs. The lower quality briefs are free to me, which allows me to use a higher quality brief when out and about, which gives me confidence and saves a lot of money. The plastic backed briefs can hold multiple voids, they keep urine odor at bay, and do not sag. They offer the most protection against leaks when seated, which for whatever reason, I cannot suppress the "urge"/spasm when I am seated. Cloth backed briefs also seem to get my compression shorts "damp" even if they are not leaking. I don't have the extra money to invest in multiple pairs of PUL pants right now (hoping Medicaid can help cover cost of supplies, so I may be able to then have the extra cash to invest in some PUL pants).

I feel that the plastic backed briefs are overall better, but I am having a hard time getting them to fit right. They seem to leak out the back, if they do leak. I find it harder to get them taped tightly enough, and they are not refasten-able/lack a landing zone, so if I make it to the bathroom, I have to use the second-chance tapes which sometimes pop. With cloth backed briefs, I can refasten them more and adjust. I'm not sure if the issue with the plastic backed briefs is the fit or not, but my only solution was to invest in some boosters to see if that will prevent them from leaking out the back. I figured that's a lower cost way to get around the issue for now, since I only use the higher quality products out and about. Although I love the sag-prevention/odor retention of the plastic briefs, I am not sure how to get them to fit better, or if I should return to using a cloth-like brief as I can refasten them. If anyone has any advice to give, I'd appreciate it. I would like to consult with a continence nurse, as I've been dealing with this independently for a while, and feel still feel lost at times. However, there is only one serving the area I live in, so I may have to wait for a while or go a different route. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:33 pm 

This might be an issue of fit. Northshore does a good job of providing samples, so ask them for a few samples in one size each direction. See if that works any better. Every body is different, and not all diapers will work for all body shapes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:15 pm 

vote4pedro: This is from an older post of mine in the Tips and Tricks section but it may help solve your problem...

Ever since I started wearing tape up diapers I've experienced a few minor leaks (haven't we all?) but I was a bit confounded since it didn't seem to matter whether I was wearing a premium or basic diaper. Recently I had just put on a ComfiDry 24/7 and during just a second small wetting I felt a leak at a lower rear corner. Upon checking the "fit" in that area I found that the gathers/leak guards were not fully in contact with my skin in the leg joint area. I adjusted the gathers making sure that none of the excess material was between the elastic gathers and my skin. I had no more problems but wondered why this happened, hadn't I put the diaper on snuggly? During my next change (I use the against-the-wall method) I pulled the diaper firmly forward as usual but thought I'd better check the fit in that same area. Sure enough the gathers weren't firmly against my skin even though they felt nice and snug.

OK so here's the trick, before applying the first tape I reach "waaaay back under" and physically make sure the gathers are not twisted and are resting firmly against my skin at the leg joint. Only then do I pull the front top of the diaper firmly upwards and apply the first tape. Yeah I know, this sounds totally obvious, and maybe everyone but me already does this so please don't take offense. However now that I do this "fit check" I find that about 50% of the time the gathers were not initially firmly in contact with my skin. Once I finally understood what was happening I was surprised that I didn't have more leaks previously. Note also that I've had zero leaks since I started using this method.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:40 am 

Pedro,

You will see most here with a lot of experience will testify to how much better plastic back is compared to cloth back. What you need is a little more time to get your technique down on what works best for you. For example, it took me a little while to master putting one on while standing but now that I can, that is my preferred method.
Like some have said already, you need to get as many samples of different diapers as you can . If you find you are close in between sizes, you need to try both. Is is very possible to have one that is too big and because of this, will leak around the legs. Same thing if it is too small. Something else that will have a factor on leaks is the absorption of the diaper and if you flood or have many small voids. If you flood, you may need to think about going ahead and using the diaper before you get so much in your bladder that you do flood. Some diapers need a few seconds to soak it up and lock it away.

Anyways, to make a long post short, try as many different diapers as to can. Each fit a little different and all of us have our own unique shape. I don't know if they still sale them but hdis.com use to have a sample pack of about 10 or 12 different brands that was not too expensive. You could look at that to find something different you may not have tried yet.

Rope