www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:31 pm 

I'm am just beginning to shop for some new cloth diapers but this time I'm thinking I should try something different. I have purchased cloth diapers several times before, but I more often than not, I generally buy the same type of cloth diapers. With few exceptions, I've almost always purchased birdseye prefold diapers before. I've tried the twill, gauze, and flannel in the past but always return to the birdseye because of durability, and absorbency. It's been more than 10 years ago when I last tried flannel, but I "thought" I had more absorbency with the birdseye but maybe I'm mistaken.

I have read several posts from happy customers from Angle Fluff but noticed almost all of their cloth diapers are made of flannel. I like the idea of having some diapers that are "heavy weight", or maybe even "extra heavy weight" for night time use. On one hand, I like the idea of not adding an extra pad/liner to the diaper at night, BUT I have to think a "heavy weight" diaper requires more time in the dryer so there is a trade-off between the two types of diapers. Adding a pad/liner to the diaper at night keeps the cost of the diaper lower if no added absorbancy (liner) is sewn in the diaper, plus regular absorbency requires less drying time. Is this correct?

What about flannel Vs. birdseye,....which is more absorbent? Does a contour cloth diaper have less bulk compared to a prefold diaper?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:38 pm 

While I can't speak to the absorbency issue between birdseye and flannel, I can say that contours definitely have less bulk than pre-folds. I tried pre-folds originally, as they were what I remember from my childhood, but have found the contours with a booster work much better for me - especially when I wear cloth during the day. I have both birdseye and gauze, and I agree the birdseye seems to hold up a bit better, but find the gauze is softer and more comfortable.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:14 pm 
Admin

I used to wear the flannel pre-folds, but they took 2 cycles of the dryer to dry. I even made a rack out of PVC that after 1 time through the dryer I would hang them on it to finish drying.
I have since switched to the gauze pre-folds and can make them as thick as I need them. They washout a lot better and dry a lot faster than the flannel ones. I also use an insert or two for bedtime for more absorbency. I have worn my cloth diapers during the day, just not as thick as at night, while grocery shopping and running to the hardware store with no problem. Altho, I do wear baggy overalls to hide the bulk and never with sweatpants hehe.

The gauze diapers I get are the GZH7 from Angelfluff, http://www.angelfluff.com/clothdiapers/adult-cloth-gauzeprefold.html

While all I have tried are the pre-folds, the contour ones do look interesting, even though they are flannel. :)

Schoppy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:53 pm 

Schoppy,

Thank you for your comments. I don't recall buying anything from Angle Fluff before. I've never been a big fan of flannel, but maybe I judged too quickly in the past. I have read several posts that favor the use of flannel diapers so I thought I better ask for some comments before buying a dozen or more cloth diapers,...not cheap and there is no room for error in my budget.

I'm hopeful Don will make some comments as he has recently made some posts about his recent purchase of Angle Fluff diapers. I don't know if he bought flannel or gauze. I "assume" he bought flannel because he mentions medium and heavy weight diapers and as far as I know, those diaper weights are only available in flannel.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:35 am 

schoppy wrote:
I have worn my cloth diapers during the day, just not as thick as at night, while grocery shopping and running to the hardware store with no problem. Altho, I do wear baggy overalls to hide the bulk and never with sweatpants hehe.

Funny - just yesterday I was wearing a MegaMax with shorts. Didn't think anything of it until my wife went to take a pic of me sitting and holding my new grandbaby and she noticed the huge bulge between my legs! She cropped it out of the pic, but I had to change into a larger pair of shorts. I guess it's time to lose a few pounds so they fit a little better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:08 am 

Many years ago I tried flannel. At the time it seemed that was the most available in adult products. My take was that the material did not absorb as quickly as twill, birdseye or gauze. As Scoopy said, they also took a long time to dry. Perhaps the two are related.
I have settled on twill from CTDC. The material wears well and lasts longer than gauze and it absorbs quickly.
I have several contour diapers that I have occasionally used during the day. They are ok but don't have the near the capacity of a good disposable or a prefold. Contours have less bulk overall especially in the crotch where it is needed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:20 am 

I guess I must be hard on my protection. Gauze feels best, and dries quickest, but wears out quickest too. Flannel is stiffest and feels positively abrasive against the skin, but seems to be the most absorbent. Birdseye seems to be the best compromise that I have experienced. I have not tried other weaves. Old, ratty diapers make excellent pads to enhance the absorbency of newer diapers. When they get too bad even for that chore, I use them as shoe and car polish rags.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:02 pm 

Over the years, I have worn out MANY prefolds. I have nearly always used Birdseye weave but used flannel for a short while. As I recall, they didn’t absorb quickly and were moderately uncomfortable in the summer heat. Since then, I used Birdseye, though may try gauze this summer.
My husband once asked if he could have my worn out diapers for the car but I use them “monthly” (with a tampon) as a liner until they are beyond useable. I place the worn one inside a good one. When they are beyond usable, they get trashed and new ones are ordered. The use cycle continues....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:00 pm 

5bugles wrote:
schoppy wrote:
I have worn my cloth diapers during the day, just not as thick as at night, while grocery shopping and running to the hardware store with no problem. Altho, I do wear baggy overalls to hide the bulk and never with sweatpants hehe.

Funny - just yesterday I was wearing a MegaMax with shorts. Didn't think anything of it until my wife went to take a pic of me sitting and holding my new grandbaby and she noticed the huge bulge between my legs! She cropped it out of the pic, but I had to change into a larger pair of shorts. I guess it's time to lose a few pounds so they fit a little better.

Your weight may be fine- the MegaMax has a huge amount of SAP in it, which inflates the front of your diaper. I find them to be "too much" for my needs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:29 pm 

WetDad wrote:
5bugles wrote:
schoppy wrote:

Your weight may be fine- the MegaMax has a huge amount of SAP in it, which inflates the front of your diaper. I find them to be "too much" for my needs.

That's true, Tom, but I can guarantee you that I my weight is anything but fine...LOL