www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Megamax overkill?
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 7:27 pm 

So I was diagnosed w/ severe neurogenic bladder several years ago. I was going through several heavy duty briefs a day. My healthcare team eventually found a way to manage it pretty well. I started getting improvement w/ 15g Oxybutynyn per day and eventually I started using a TENS Unit 1-2 times weekly to supplement it which drastically improved my leakage and quality of life. It's been well over a year since. Anyway, I'm currently using the NorthShore MegaMax and I'm wondering if it's overkill. I definitely still need it at night since I leak more when I sleep, and I'm a side sleeper. I've found that being a side sleeper requires a stronger brief that provides a top notch seal around the leg bands.

What I'm wondering at this point is if the MegaMax is overkill for during the day. My condition has improved enough that I can wear a lighter brief; however, I've tried pull-up briefs and they really suck. One, I seem to always be in between a small and medium, and two, I would often have pee run down my leg and the brief would be completely dry. I have a large "package" and so I believe the combination of that and it not being a good fit is what causes the pull-up to not catch and absorb my leakage. I've considered a tape on brief that's not as heavy duty, but the MegaMax still seems preferable b/c I only ned 2 a day. One when I wake up in the morning and one before I go to bed. Even with my improvement, I don't think I would feel comfortable leaving the house for a full work day w/o a change with a less absorbent brief on. Also, the MegaMax can be refastened which is wonderful. Lastly, they absorb differently than any pother product I've tried. My skin is left dry even when the brief is wet and I almost never get rashes now. Wearing the MegaMaxes does not bother me all that much. As I noted, it offers a lot of benefits, and it's pretty concealable under my clothes. But, on the other hand, I wonder if I would be happier with something lighter during the day. I know this is a personal decision, but I would like to hear your thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Megamax overkill?
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:03 am 

Have you considered trying washables? Because of the expense, you might order just a few, with waterproof pants, to see if they work for you. If they do, and if an adequate inventory seems appropriate, they can be easily adjusted to fit and absorbency needs. And, an adequate inventory lasts for years, which offsets the high initial expense. Good luck.