www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reusable advice?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:40 am 

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with possibly using a sort of reusable underwear and absorbent disposable pad combination. I will be in a situation where I may be very busy and thought maybe it would be easier to use such a combination so that if necessary, the pad could easily be replaced. Anything to simplify that aspect of life. Something comfortable. I noticed on the northshore care site, there is washable men's underwear. Any ideas?

Dealing with this can be such a pain.

Post subject: Re: Reusable advice?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:36 am 

For very light incontinence that should work. Of course, I would always wear a pair of plastic pants on top.

When trying anything new I recommend first experimenting with it in private before you use it in a social situation. :)

--John

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:39 pm 

Thanks, JD. I don't like the layers. It's really frustrating. And having to change is annoying. Sometimes I get so fed up, I take off whatever protection I'm using and say to heck with it and just let the couch get wet. But that is annoying too. Maybe you feel that way sometimes?

....ug!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:10 pm 

You know, there is just not much out there to select from for what you're looking for in re-usable. It's mostly all disposable. I have a lot of sites I have browsed in the past, give me some time to look them over again, and I'll get back with you if I find something.......................Paul Martin.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:42 am 

Onions, incontinence is frustrating, especially at the beginning. But you have to deal with it. Wetting the couch, bed, chairs, floor is just not acceptable. We all would like to open the window and toss every diaper we have out but that would not solve anything. If you prefer reusable (cloth) diapering then experiment, we all have, and find what is most comfortable/absorbent/ easy to wear. Around the house just wear your diapers and a tee or shirt or sweat shirt or whatever to make it easier to change and for comfort. Choose what works best and go out on short trips and then longer ones. Everyone here will tell you that no mater how well prepared you are things can and will go wrong and you have to learn what to do in those situations. I too prefer cloth diapers but I also know they are just not the right diaper in all circumstances. Accepting that you must wear diapers all the time is very upsetting but it also is the reality. You could use a condom catheter and bag if the idea of diapers is just too much to accept. There are choices, try them all and find what works and accept that this is just part of life, it is not all of life. You have too start focusing on bigger things than wearing diapers. Wearing diapers allows us all to do all we did before being in diapers and all we could never do if we did not wear diapers. So bite the bullet and get on with those other things that are way more important. Papa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:36 am 

Onions, I will second what Papa has said so very well.

We cannot let our frustration become self-destructive. Leaking on furniture is not an option. Over time we adapt, learn to cope more effectively, and using any form of protection becomes less annoying.

I hate wearing layers in very warm weather but now accept it as a necessity. At home I will just wear diapers and a T-shirt if I can. Occasionally I may wear only a diaper, but, if I am well-hydrated and thus at more risk of a leak, I will always add plastic pants.

--John

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:56 am 

Onions:Adding to what has already been said ... It is more "cost effective" to use diapers rather than to "say to heck with it" and wet a couch or a car seat or a bed. Besides the obvious costs of having to clean and/or replace those furniture and automotive items, there is the "hidden cost" of not caring for others around you that share your living arrangements. Diapers allow us to live life almost like we could before diapers and without having our symptoms greatly impact those around us.

Wear what you need to wear so that you can live your life and minimally impact those around you that you care for.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:01 pm 

Thanks, guys. I live alone and it's a throwaway couch from ikea. But that's besides the point. I understand. I guess this is why I'm looking for a simple combination of some sort of all in one / pad combination. I will be starting work in a hospital environment and want an easy way to deal with this, seems like just changing out a pad as necessary would be quick and relatively easy. I will be on my feet and quite active. Obviously I wouldn't be able to use a pull on style without undressing, and tapes is annoying too. Definitely not as easy for me as changing out a pad would be, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:12 am 

Good luck onions. IMHO it takes a lot of experimentation to find what works best for each of us and many of us find very different solutions to our incontinence.

When I was a teenager at home and complained about some typical teenage problem my Dad used to warn me "Remember, life is not fair!" Oh so true! That could be the motto for incontinence. :lol:

--John