www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: male pullups
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:38 pm 

Some time .. years? .. has passed since the original post on January 12th, 2008 to this question of Male Pull-Ups. For years I myself could not use the pull-ups. Then recently I tried the Abena and the Tranquility pull-ups using a booster pad with them and am amazed .. absolutely and positively amazed .. at how well they work in many (no .. not 100% but many..) situations for me! The BIG DEAL for me is this .. IF I have-to-sit .. either at-home or while out .. the pull-ups pull down and pull-up again extremely well whereas the wrap-around-briefs do NOT pull down and when I have to un-tape them the tapes are often difficult if-not-impossible to satisfactorily refasten. This has been my actual experience.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:47 pm 

I think I may be the only person in the world who doesn't like the Tranquility ATN pull-ups. I've tried them on several occasions--both samples and bags--and they leak on me every time. I've even sent samples back to Tranquility just to make sure they're not defective. They said they weren't. Yet they leaked on me consistently, particularly over the top. Most pull-ups have at least a waterproof barrier all the way up the front, but with those, they stop where the pad does. That's apparently a problem for me, 'cause I tend to, ahem, point up.

Am I the only one who's had problems with the ATN undies leaking out the front?

-RMS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:25 pm 

I ALWAYS use a booster pad ( from Tranquilty ) with the pull-ups and almost always wear waterproof 'over-pants' as well .. since they do not seem to work for you .. why not just stop using them?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:29 am 

Hi, Tewi. It's a fair question. Since they don't work for me, I really shouldn't ever buy them again. I've only actually bought them a few times. Most of the time I use full-on diapers--they're just more practical for my needs. But every so often I see people rave about the ATN pull-ups and I wonder if I just got a bad batch. I wonder if I'm missing out on something great. I think I have some kind of diaper-related amnesia.

I don't know anyone dealing with incontinence who isn't constantly experimenting. I'm trying new products all the time, and sometimes I'm trying ones I've tried before in the hopes that I've changed or that the product has improved. Sometimes I win that bet, but most of the time I don't. Regardless, I guess I'm a gambler in that respect.

I'm confident that I'll trick myself into buying more products that didn't work the first time around, just to see if they'll work for me this time, but I'll try to limit those. For the most part, I have my favorites and I stick to those in the larger quantities.

-RMS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:49 am 

It's interesting that what works for some guys is disastrous for others. There are lots of negative online reviews of Depends Underwear for Men, but you can buy them in just about any Walmart, Target, grocery store, pharmacy, or (as I do) through Amazon. There must be a lot of quiet guys who think they work pretty well. I totally understand the need many experience for something more robust, and I recognize that I have only moderate incontinence symptoms. But it's important to acknowledge that lots of guys will find Depends effective, discrete, and economical.

Last edited by Noe on Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:44 am 

I will add to this thread as well. Since my incontinence is limited to leakage/dribbling after I urinate
"Post micturation dribble" a pullup usually works ok for me. I like the Depend for men, but I prefer the Tena for men. I wear a pad or "guard" in them to give myself a larger "landing zone" but they work ok by themselves. I usually just use this combination for the workplace. Despite the fact that my incontinence is fairly light, I have found regular adult diapers to work better for me when I'm home or any other time I'm not at work......there isn't much I can't do in a diaper, after one year of being back in diapers, I think I'm finally getting the hang of it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:57 am 

A full quality diaper is the only way to go Pull-ups are fine for very light dribbles or small surges but for most who flood pull-ups are a wast of money and who needs the stress of wondering if it's going to do its job when you leak.

I have been in full diapers for 3 months now and I have to say it's nice to know that chances of leaks are slim with a proper fitting quality diaper and when I have flooded in public a few times while talking to some one I don't have to panic or show consern that I am peeing while dealing with day to day interactions.

When I first started to wear and flood I froze in my tracks when it was happening now I just carry on like nothing is wrong and deal with the wet diaper when convenient that's the benifit of using a full quality diaper peace of mind and absorbency

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:32 am 

It can be interesting how we react differently to the same pull-up or taped diaper. Part of our reaction is, of course, emotional, i.e., whether a particular diaper just happens to "feel right."

Regardless of what any diaper review or article on incontinence says, stick with whatever works for you. If pull-ups are effective for you, there is no reason to change to taped diapers. Similarly, if an inexpensive diaper works for you, consider yourself fortunate and don't change to a more expensive premium diaper. :)

Within broad limits, fit is much more important than absorbency. A cheap diaper that fits you well will provide you with hours of protection at little cost. An expensive premium diaper that does not fit you well may leak at the first wetting! :(

--John

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:31 pm 

Well said JD. I am fortunate in two ways. the pull ups work for me so if there is a problem with shipping I can just head to the store and pick up a pair of pull ups. The other way is I get them through the VA. The only problem I have with the pull ups are when I have to change out in town. than it is finding one with tabs that can suffice until I get back home and right now I am trying to find a different kind that works better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:12 am 

When I needed to wear nappies (diapers) I tried the pullups but they are a pain to change - requiring shoes and trousers (pants) removal. The normal nappy (diaper) is so much easier to replace and it holds more!