www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:31 pm 

I agree that 6mm plastic is a little heavier than some plastic pants I've used in the past, but I don't think the plastic pants I received from Comco are stiff or make any noise. I would much rather use plastic pants that are durable and made to last than use plastic pants that are so thin that the plastic tears after a few washings. I took Paul Martin's advise and ordered 2 pairs of plastic pants from KINS. The pants I ordered are also 6mm plastic so I guess if you want durability,.... you need to be willing to accecpt a little thicker plastic. The only thing I didn't like about the Comco plastic pants is they are kinda baggy. I prefer a trim fit, but I use disposables and not cloth. Having used cloth diapers at night for a long time myself, I can see why some people like these pants to be a little baggy. No question,......there is plently of room for a heavy cloth night diaper when using these plastic pants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:20 pm 

John,

You are right about the thinnner materials tearing. This happens near the elastics after the elastics have been stretched. I noticed this with the Gary plastic pants I get from adultclothdiaper.com. After a couple months of use I notice little tears in certain areas along the elastics. The snap-on plastic pants tear even faster. I have not yet noticed any tearing on the Kins pants that I have. It must be the lycra elastic bindings that keep the vinyl from tearing. As thin a material as the Kins pants are made of they sure seem to hold up well. So far so good. The medium size in the Kins pants fit me extremely well. Not too-tight, not baggy and plenty of room for thicker night diapers. I purchased a pair of plastic pants from ACD that use a very thick but buttery soft vinyl. They are sized large like the Comco pants but with much softer vinyl. The only thing I don't like about them is the elastics are covered. The claim on covered elastics is they are more comfotable to wear over long periods and no moisture will wick on the elastics. I found the covered elastics to be very uncomfotable even after wearing the pants for a short period.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:31 am 

I'd like to be sure everyone knows Kins offers two very different plastic pants, thin and thick (6 mil). So we need to distinquish when talking about Kins plastic pants....are we talking about the thin or the thick plastic pants?

Their thin plastic pants are very comfortable, as DDS points out. I find them almost like a silk or nylon pant, rather than vinyl, due to the texturing of the vinyl material. The Lycra leg and waist elastics are very comfortable on me. The downside for these pants, as with most thin vinyls, is short life. That has been bad for Kins in general since some don't know Kins has the heavier pants. So some folks think "all Kins plastic pants" don't hold up. Only the thin Kins don't hold up well. The heavy Kins plastic pants are very durable!

The Kins heavy plastic pants are a smooth vinyl inside and out. I think the heavier pants are offered in more styles than the thin ones, including encased elastics and the "low riders" that Paul M points out.

The low riders are indeed a trim fit with reduced bulk all over, narrower crotch width, and ideal for wear over a disposable or a light cloth diaper such as a Velcro on diaper.

When Kins first introduced the encased bands, I jumped on it since I would get weeping overnight on the sheets from my Lycra leg bands. My overnight diaper gets very wet! I got my usual size, Large, and that was a mistake with the encased bands....way too tight! Going up one size helped but still a tad snug for my liking. Happily, Kins seems to have relaxed the tension a bit....my last order (still going up one size) is now comfortable!

Now for the Gary pants offered at ACD/ATD which they call LeakMaster. The heavy (6 mil) version with encased leg and waist bands. At first I thought the vinyl was a bit stiff, but I have been happy with the way it softens with a little body heat and the leg and waist elastics are very comfortable, for me. The Adult Cloth Diaper LeakMaster encased elastic bands have become my overnight plastic pants of choice!

We are indeed all different in our perception and tolerance of things like leg and waist elastics tension and encased with vinyl or just elastic or the luxury of Lycra.

Paul M can't tolerate vinyl encased bands at all. I totally agree with him if the vinyl isn't soft enough and if the tension is too much, having gone thru that.

DDS points out he cannot tolerate the LeakMaster encased elastics.

So, that should serve as a caution to buy only one pair at a time of anything new, and give it enough wear time to decide if it is comfortable for you, before buying several pair.

But if you can find an encased elastic you like, the reward is no spots on the sheets overnight or on your chair by day when sitting for long periods at a time, especially in a wet diaper. I do say to tuck leg bands in to stop the weeping but I find they don't always stay tucked in and leg elastics tend to "seek their spot" and if your diaper is on the wet side OR you have a substantial void while seated, the encased elastics can't be beat for preventing that dreaded leg band leak that leaves wet "panty lines" on your backside!

As for Comco, I offer the dessenting opinion here! I like the heavy 6 mil vinyl and they offered the nicest leg and waist elastics for a long time before Lycra came on the scene and only standard elastics were available (ie the usual Gary style elastics). I note the comments about sizing and bagginess and agree totally. If you wear large you need to order medium. But my real complaint is the cut; I feel they lack coverage at the rear waist, leaving my diaper exposed at the top in back to wick wetness onto my shirt and pants waistband. Neither Gary nor Kins has that problem. Cost of Comco pants is very attractive compared to the others so if you like or can tolerate the fit, you do have a great plastic pant in Comco for a very reasonable cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:55 am 

WOW! GREAT post JoeK :)

Over the years, I've used several different bands of plastic pants. For quality, comfort, and durability its hard to beat KINS, or Comco. I think the 6 mm plastic is just right for durability while still providing comfort. I prefer the "trim fit" compared to having bulk that many different brands of plastic pants have. I like the KINS Lowrider pants the best. One nice thing about the trim fit is that I can wear a cloth diaper in the day and have so little bulk that the diaper is not detectable under my clothes when I'm wear the KINS Lowrider pants. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:12 am 

I agree the Kins pants are great. I've only tried the low rider which work out great for me. I have not tried the Comco or the other make mentioned, but the Suprima brand is right up there too, and in my opinion are the "cadillac" of vinyl pants. Probably not within everyone's budget, but for those occasions are well worth the price. Both Kins and B4NS are both excellent to deal with too. I don't have a sensitivity to vinyl, so my preference is the tighter vinyl casings, which don't cause the wet lines from seeping beyond the leg elastics.

I like the trim look and dislike anything that rides up or beyond the waist. The cut, and forward facing leg holes are important too. If they aren't that, I won't wear them and eventually get tossed. Fortunately, there is a lot of selection to choose from, but mostly on the internet as I have not seen selections in retail settings.

Post subject: Suprima plastic pants
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:14 am 

First off, thank you Johnstone, for the postive feedback. It sure is nice to know when my ramblings actually help someone.....I've been incon from birth and that's a whole lot of years ago so I've a lot of experience (and certainly opinions !) which I love to pass on to anyone who will listen!

Harperlee, I did skip over Suprima. Yes, they are great pants and the selection can be overwhelming, what with S1205 trim fit, narrow crotch and narrow elastic bands, S1213 with wide crotch and narrow bands, S1212 with wide crotch and wide bands and a bit higher back....which are my favorite. The selection of styles goes on and on; there is color and vinyl weights. I've always liked the sharp primary colors: blue, green, orange, red...to name a few, which work well with shorts. Plastic pants the same color as your shorts helps hide things for those up shorts peeks that can happen esp. when you squat down for something or just sit down on a bench.

And then the snap on version.....and you get a choice of bright chrome snaps or subdued smaller plastic snaps the same color as the pants. Snap on pants are cut totally different from the pull on pants, offering a whole different "fit".

And some styles are Euro sized and some styles are Western sized, just to add variety!

My "problems" with Suprima are elastic tension which, as I said, is a very personal thing. I can have leg bands that are secure but the waist is too tight and uncomfortable. Or I can have waist bands that are comfortable but the leg bands are loose. Since I really liked the colors for wear with shorts, I invested $ with a seamstress who took my Suprimas with "good" leg elastics and too tight waists and changed out the elastic in the waist to make them ideal for me. Most would not need such customized pants.

I feel, and my advice to any one who finds themselves using cloth diapers and needing plastic pants, would be to start with Gary since they are the most "universal fit" in my opinion.

After gaining some experience with fit and wear of plastic pants, I'd recommend Kins 6 mil for a very comfortable experience with the Lycra bands and a warning about the potential for weepage.

For a low cost, decent pant, I'd say try Comco, considering the "strange" fit.

I'd leave Suprima for the more experienced wearer looking for variety in fit and feel, weights and colors.

I've left out another one that some may have noticed....the Lang pants offered way back by Edly Enterprises now long since retired. This is a traditional "baby pants" made from the same weight vinyl, about 4 mil, and textured on one side and smooth on the other.

Once the 6 mil vinyl pants came along, in a soft comfortable version such as Babykins, I've not been into the lighter vinyl pants so I can't comment on how they might hold up.

OK....I'll get off the soapbox now.......<grin>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:42 am 

Wow Joe,

Your knowledge on this and the different plastic pants supercedes even that of some vendors. I've learned something new for sure.

When I started with incontinence adult disposables were really inferior, and I used mostly re-usable. Even plastic pants were not plentiful, but I recall the Salk brand in the stores and I think Gerber by mail order. When improvements with disposables came, re-usuables took a back seat for a long time. In fact it is only the last few years that I started buying re-usable, and use them maybe 30% of the time, and always at night now, and with my work life use the convenience of disposable.

I totally agree with you on the color selections, and that very thought has crossed my mind often about a revealing diaper or plastic pants while wearing shorts. The snaps are handy too, as you don't need to completely disrobe when changing, especially in a public setting.

I enjoyed reading your comments, and have learned something new today.

Post subject: plastic - vinyl pants
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:44 am 

HI,

Just realized it's been some time since I posted here, or have checked
the forum, for that matter.

It's now been over 15 years of living with urinary incontinece for me.

For over the past 10 years, I've found that the COMCO vinyl products
have served me well. I've stopped by their location to re-stock a number
of times. Over the years I have found the quality of their products
have not been compromised. For a time they offered colors, but that
was not my focus. They do continue selling both their pull-on and snap
up vinyl pants and I use both types.

Their "vinyls" are not exactly trim fit, but are ample cut to allow for even
cloth or at least a highly absorbant disposable plus booster pads. Leg and
waist bands conform but do not bind. This is important for all day wear.
The vinyl holds up to detergent washings, but will become less soft and
pliable with extended use. But, they are very resistant to tear or puncture.

The only departure I've made from my COMCO loyalty is to order from
HDIS several years back, a supply of their Malaysian rubber pants. These
are different at first, not so bulky, but still ample enough to cover the
heaviest protection (like I use on long car trips or riding motorcycle).
Those were a little bit expensive but the cost turned out to be good
investment.

The HDIS rubber pants have actually held up a lot better than I first
anticipated, but are a bit more delecate and subject to tearing if one is
not careful. As to which I like better...just a matter of preference and
the situation. Both fit well under jeans...even shorts (within reason).
All in all, I alternate between wear of vinyl or rubber pants nearly
50/50.

In winter, both are undetectable under sweats or track pants -- if diaper protection is within reason. Use of cloth is harder to hide. Some may
worry about the noise factor, but I have come to disregard that since I
realize it is a subtle thing and NOT detectable in most public settings.

Vinyl or rubber over pants used with a diaper is one extra layer of
safety protection for me for avoiding detectable leaks. And I find that
leaks are most likely to occur from a sitting postion and by "wicking" of
the diaper material at the leg openings onto one's pants. Here, waterproof
over pants prevent much of this from happening -- at least for me.

Over time we all learn techniques for managing our personal routine
with incontinence. Also, over time, the products available have become
more advanced and with more options available. Thus, most of us manage quite well and are able to keep our issues discreetly private,
thankfully.

All this enables us to participate in life fully; few are the wiser.
Just as it should be.

John.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:20 am 

Thank you, Harperlee!
Again, it is most rewarding to get positive feedback on my ramblings, you're saying you learned something from said ramblings is especially gratifying!

And, John wrote a great post including:

Over time we all learn techniques for managing our personal routine
with incontinence. Also, over time, the products available have become
more advanced and with more options available. Thus, most of us manage quite well and are able to keep our issues discreetly private,
thankfully.

All this enables us to participate in life fully; few are the wiser.
Just as it should be.

To which I say, Absolutely, John, well said!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:27 am 

I have tried several brands of plastic pants over the years. My personal preferences are the regular plastic pants from adultclothdiaper.com (Gary) and those from Kins. The Kins pants fit me the best and are the most comfortable to wear because of the lycra bindings. I have also used the plastic pants from Comco and the pants from Vinyl Incontinence Products. I've never been fond of the Comco pants mainly due to the fact that I fall somewhere in between the Medium and small sizes. Now I believe that Comco offers "in-between" sizes like small-medium which I should give a try. The crotch in the Comco pants could also be a bit wider for my liking. I have read that Vinyl Incontinence Products has sold their vinyl formulation and no longer makes plastic pants. The pants they made were adult versions of the old Gerber vinyl baby pants and in my opinion were more of a novelty for the AB/DL crowd than for serious incontinence. The elastics were exactly like the Gerber pants and were comfortable but the crotch was way too-narrow and the vinyl became stiff way sooner than any other plastic pant I have tried. Now that the warm weather is here I need to place an order for some new snap-on plastic pants. I've never tried the snap-on pants from Kins but I like their regular pull-on pants so I think I'll order a few pair of their snap-on pants and give them a try.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next