www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:16 pm 

I'm sorry I seem to be posting rather too many questions on this board at the moment! :(

Today I heard that I have got two appointments in September to look into what is causing the bladder problems I have. The first is a scan and the second an appointment and I think examination. I'm quite worried about how to deal with these (not to mention I really hate the thought of the examinations and things but I know that it has to be looked in to so I just have to deal with that). I'd really appreciate any suggestions anyone has on the following.

I'm sorry if this is going to sound horrible or weird but I can't really think how else to put it....

First of all, for the scan the letter tells me I have to have a full bladder and that an hour before the exam I should drink a pint of liquid. I have what seems to be considerable urge and stress incontinence problems and I'm worried I won't be able to hang on for that long to a full bladder having drunk that much. I think I'd definitely be having small leaks and I'm worried I might end up totally losing control before or during the scan. Especially if the appointment is delayed or something! I'm wondering whether to phone up the hospital department or something about this but wonder does anyone have ideas on what to do? Should I drink less since I seem to have to go very often anyway?

Secondly, for the other appointment. No need for a full bladder for that, but because of the frequency of the urge and stress problems, and the fact that there's likely to be a good wait before the appointment, it's very likely that by the time I get into the appointment I won't have a dry diaper. It seems horrible - for the doctor as much as me - if I have to then have the physical exam having wet and not been able to change etc before. Worse still, I'm worried about whether the movements in the exam itself might cause me to leak urine or what to do if a sudden strong urge came on during it. Maybe this is silly and probably just wouldn't happen but it's really bothering me. I wonder what other people do for appointments like this? Maybe I should bring a bed-pad or something to protect the examination couch or would that be there already? Presumably restricting liquid beforehand will help a bit but I know that isn't a brilliant thing to do.

Sorry I know this isn't a nice thing to talk about I just don't know how else to find advice. I'd be very grateful for any suggestions. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:37 pm 

Ah yes, I remember the good old days of being poked and prodded and filled full of fluids. All great fun.

First off, I would call your doctor's office before the test, and again the day of. Kindly remind them that this test is being run because you have trouble holding your bladder and that you are going to be in considerable distress when you arrive. Hopefully the nurses should be kind enough not to delay you.

As far as having a wet diaper at the doctor's office... don't worry yourself about it. I think everyone on this board has been there at one point or another. The doctors and staff are medical professionals, they've seen it all before... no one will blink an eye at the fact that you are wet. Just take a change along and get changed into a dry one afterward.

It is common to be apprehensive when these tests are coming up. Just try your best to be calm and relaxed, wear some good protection in case the worse happens, and hopefully everything will pass smoothly.

Post subject: Doctor examination
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:55 pm 

Bernadette,
Puddleguy has sound advise. You're worring too much! I always have a dry diaper on as I go to my appointment with my urologist. By the time I see him, I'm always wet. If I'm too wet, I'll go ahead and change at his office.
As far as being on the exam table and having an accident, don't worry again. They'll have a protection pad under you to catch anything that leaks. I had a test similar to what you are going to take and the pad under me caught everything. Even if you have a flood, the staff will take care of you. Just don't be so nervous, Bernadette. You'll do just fine!! .....................Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:47 am 

HI Bernadette
I'm sorry to here of your stress :( I know it's easy for us to say don't worry But in reality you are worried. The Guys are right These people have all seen it before. I can tell you that I've leaked and or flooded both while being examined :? But the staff was completely understanding. Once it happen at my Gynaecologist I completely flooded needless to say she was a little surprised. But it was kind of laughed off. She said that wasn't the first time she had seen that happen. Granted I was a little embarressed :oops: My advice would be wear a heavy level of protection and bring at least one change with you. You will be fine :wink: Most of us have been there and we are pulling for you :wink: ........Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:40 pm 

indeed.. i have not had the unpleasant experience of wetting or being wet while being examined... knock on wood...then again.. i dont seem to have urge incon..i think it may be overflow mixed with stress.. i dont know..maybe urge mixed with overflow? However.. when my GP examined me when i was first having problems..he did see a spot of urine. But.. as these people have said.. RELAX!! You are very brave to seek treatment forthis.. and most doctors and staff would be very understanding and compassionate if something were to happen.. and if something does happen.. dont let it embarass you.. after all that's what you're there for!

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:06 pm 

Oops just tried to post but I don't think it worked.

Thank you very much for all your advice. It helps to know that other people have found examinations like this have gone okay and that the doctors are likely to be understanding. After all, it's because I have these problems that I'm going for the tests so I shouldn't get so worried (I do have a way of doing that too much!)!

I telephoned the hospital about the first appointment, the scan. They were really understanding and put me at ease straight away. It was really encouraging to get that reaction.

They suggested I can arrive early and take on the fluid when I'm there, so that I'm not worried about flooding whilst I'm on the way to the hospital. Then when I get there, they said I should ask straight away and explain the situation, to see if there is likely to be a wait. If there is, then apparently if I lose a little bit it won't matter, but if I feel I can't hold it or the worst happens and I suddenly lose control, then it won't matter and I can just 'go' and then drink more to fill up again. They said they'll need to do 2 scans, one with a full bladder and one empty, so it won't matter too much.

So praise God, it sounds as if this appointment will be okay. for the other I will just try to relax as much as possible and not worry... Thank you again for your advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:20 pm 

As you were all so supportive, I thought I would let you know how the appointments went! :D
The scan went fine - fortunately they were not running too late so I didn't have to hang on to a full bladder for ages. It was not comfortable and predictably I did have leaks :roll: but it was no problem at all as I had the necessary protection, and they were very caring and understanding - i was worried how they'd react to the fact I was wearing a diaper but I needn't have been at all. Fortunately, the scan showed my bladder does empty fully as it should.
The second appointment (seeing a consultant) was also much better and simpler than I had expected, and everything was done to keep as much dignity during the examination as possible. The outcome was that she thinks the problems sound like overactive bladder, and she is asking my GP to prescribe a medication for this. Apparently this one does not cause too many side effects - I'll wait and see how that goes. I am also going to have a pelvic ultrasound done to make sure there are no other problems.
If I get no results from the medication in a couple of months, then I may have to have a urodynamics test.
This was quite eye-opening in showing it is important to persist in looking for help for these kind of problems. I have raised the incontinence issues with different GPs over several years, but found it hard to press for investigations etc because I've always either been dismissed or told that it's part of another long-term health problem I have and that there's nothing that can be done. But the consultant I saw said that whilst it may be contributing, she thinks there are separate problems and that anyway this medication is likely to help. It's just frustrating that it has taken so long and for the incontinence to get substantial before I could get to this stage! Partly my own fault for not being more insistent though, I admit.
Even if in the end this medication doesn't help, I'll know there is at least some explanation of why the problems are happening, and that investigations will have been done to check if there are any other treatable problems going on.
I am so so thankful for the support on this board, because without it I probably wouldn't have dared to go through the process again to get help or to go to the appointments... :D Thank you!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:20 am 

Bernadette,
Glad to hear the test went just fine and you got some answers to a few of your concerns. My wife has an over active bladder and medication seems to be helping her. She has had no accidents, though.
Thanks for the kind words to our members on this forum. We are all glad we could send you some supportive words! Good luck! ......Paul Martin