www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UroDynamic test
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:28 pm 

So I have been diagnosed with a neurogenic bladder, my symptoms frequency and urge incontinence. Over the years I've been treated and found that it's managed well Oxybutynyn and TENS unit on my tibial nerve 1-2 times per week, and briefs. Years ago, they did various test. MRI, Ultra sound, etc. The MRI showed that I have bulging disc and spondylolisthesis, apparently didn't clearly explain it, but it was an indication that it could be neurological and related. My understanding of that was it was not dispositive, but it could be the cause. Anyway, the one test they wanted to do was the UroDynamic test. Specifically, I believe it was the cystometry. I refused this. I just could not get over the fear of having something inserted in my penis. I've read a lot of post here, and some people say it's not that bad while others give horror stories. It's been years since I refused the test, but recently I've been curious about what if this procedure could find the problem and be cured and never have to deal with it again.

Anyway, I'm seriously thinking about doing the cystometry. I have Tourette's syndrome and one of my tics causes me to contract my bladder and sometime release urine (separate from my urge incontinence) For those of you unfamiliar with Tourettes, it's technically voluntarily, yet nearly impossible to control. You feel like you MUST do it to get relief. So, with that said, will voluntary bladder contractions from my tics disrupt my results? I plan on informing my Urologist about it, but I am just curious if anyone knows anything about this. I don't want to go through this for nothing.

Post subject: Re: UroDynamic test
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:12 am 

Over the years I have had numerous cystometric exams. My bladder was pumping urine back up to my kidneys, and would have necessitated dialysis if left untreated. Yes, it is one embarrassing exam; with all the personnel assisting the urologist. However, the embarrassment is worthwhile if it gives the doctor the information he/she needs to solve your problem. And, the staff see this numerous time every day they come to work. You're just another male to them. Good luck.