www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:36 pm 

Urodynamic results retention with spasms . which doesn't make any sense to me I cant go so my bladder spas out and so I cant control it. I have a cystoscopy in 2 weeks. Anyone out there in the same boat with some advice, and did anyone else urodynamic test hert?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:56 am 

My urodynamic test results were similar to yours. My bladder would spasm (cramp) when it had as little as a measured 4.5 ozs in it; my external sphincter would clamp shut, and the pain was excruciating, not to mention the threat to my kidneys. Good luck getting this sorted out; meanwhile, work on your incontinence management skills, because you will need them.

Report back when you can.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:49 am 

they didn't say anything about the retention, but definitely the spasms.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:09 am 

Patrick what do you mean by incontinence management skills?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:47 pm 

By an incontinence skill set I mean, knowing where all the suitable, clean handicapped accessible restrooms are on your usual haunts, and keeping a running tab on the estimated time of arrival to the nearest one at all times, keeping a well-stocked gym/diaper bag handy when out and about, knowing which brands of disposables best meet your needs, among other skills mentioned on this site.

I had a gastroenterologist appointment earlier this week. My bowel accidents occur when I mismanage my paralyzed GI system. So, for me, an essential incontinence management skill is keeping close track of everything I eat, when I eat it, and adjusting my medications accordingly. It is a challenging task that I do not always get right. Failure is always an option, which means a bowel release, usually without warning.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:01 pm 

Patrick wrote:
By an incontinence skill set I mean, knowing where all the suitable, clean handicapped accessible restrooms are on your usual haunts, and keeping a running tab on the estimated time of arrival to the nearest one at all times, keeping a well-stocked gym/diaper bag handy when out and about, knowing which brands of disposables best meet your needs, among other skills mentioned on this site.

I had a gastroenterologist appointment earlier this week. My bowel accidents occur when I mismanage my paralyzed GI system. So, for me, an essential incontinence management skill is keeping close track of everything I eat, when I eat it, and adjusting my medications accordingly. It is a challenging task that I do not always get right. Failure is always an option, which means a bowel release, usually without warning.

Thanks Patrick I think I am still in a bit of denial. I have jumped out of airplanes road bulls I have ran in to burning buildings and been shot at. This is still one of the scariest things I have ever been through :?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:04 am 

Dealing with the sudden onset of incontinence, for a previously competent, brave adult must be a challenge indeed. Acknowledging that can be a difficult hurdle. But, in the larger scheme of life, diapers are in the same category as eye glasses, crutches, hearing aids, and the braces folks wear following bone or joint surgery. I hope we can assist you in getting through this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:53 pm 

Thank you Patrick for all the advice I will keep you all updated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:10 am 

itjustleaks wrote:
Thanks Patrick I think I am still in a bit of denial. I have jumped out of airplanes road bulls I have ran in to burning buildings and been shot at. This is still one of the scariest things I have ever been through :?

Hey, itjustleaks

I know what you're going through. A few years ago, I just started having accidents. They grew progressively worse over the years until I have basically no trust in my bladder at all. During that time, I became insular and stopped exercising. I ended up gaining a ton of weight, and that made everything worse. Only in the past year have I gotten to the acceptance stage and acknowledged that this is my new normal. I have my diaper solutions figured out, so now I don't need to worry about a thing.

You'll have an adjustment period, but don't let this setback stop you from living your best life! I don't mean to trivialize the maladies of others, but we definitely have some really good solutions out there to get us where we need to be. You've made it through some actual hell (so it seems), and, while scary, you will make it through this challenge!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:52 am 

If you consider the number of manufacturing companies, their products, and the retail venders selling those products, both locally and online, all of whom make enough profit to keep them in business, you begin to understand that there must be tens of millions of us, of all ages from childhood through adulthood, who need the products they supply. No stigma can long survive this avalanche of opposition. There are just too many of us. The courage and skill that incontinence demands of us it likewise demands of every one of rest. We are far from alone; stigma be damned.