www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shoulder surgery
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:57 am 

I will be having rotator cuff surgery on July 11 which will leave me with just my left arm to manage daily tasks that usually require the aid of my right arm. I am wondering if anyone here has had shoulder surgery of some kind, and how did you manage putting on a diaper. I use pin on cloth diapers at night and tape on disposables during the day. Pull ups don't usually work for me, but I may not have a choice. This surgery will probably require an overnight stay in the hospital which means the nursing staff will see my diaper, and possibly need to change me. Anxiety and embarrassment are already occupying my mind. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dennis

Post subject: Re: Shoulder surgery
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:39 am 

Although I have never endured shoulder surgery, I have had several hospitalizations which required nursing assistance for my incontinence. And yes, it was embarrassing, especially when the staff checked me every hour, and had to clean my bloody genitals several times. My suggestion would be to practice washing and changing now, using only your free arm, to see what changes you will need to make. If you cannot use pins, try Boingos or Snappis, which are easier to manage than pins. Also, I sharpen my pins using a wetstone or nail file, and lubricate them by inserting them into a bar of soap. Good luck and keep us informed; your experience may be useful for others.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:48 am 

I had rotator cuff surgery in April this year and am still recovering. I had put it off for nearly 10 years. The doctors told me to wait until I couldn't stand the pain anymore, because the recovery is long and painful. Not to put anyone off, but it's good to know in advance what recovery is like.

I had to have my diaper changed once in the hospital, which was stressful. The young woman who changed me was probably about 23 (I'm 52) and had never changed an adult wearing a tape-on diaper. It ended up a little loose and I was aware of the crinkling as I walked down the hall to leave. My wife helped with the changes over the next few days. The biggest problem was trying to reach across my front to either grab the tape or pull the wing straight. Almost three months later and changes still hurt a bit. After about a week, I could move enough to do it unassisted. I change while leaning against a wall and have not tried changing while laying down since the surgery.

I didn't try pull ups, as I knew that would mean changing every 2 hours. With tape on diapers, I can go 6-8 hours. I think that pinning on a cloth diaper unasissted would be nearly impossible for at least the first two weeks.

My advice, just keep a sense of humor about it. You're in the care of professionals. The nurse who changed me was probably as embarassed as I was, but it was over in about 2 minutes. As far as recovery, the physical therapy is incredibly important. It's a pain at first, but stick with it.

Feel free to ask any questions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:09 am 

I had shoulder surgery and agree with all the recommendations others have given.

I found that post-surgery it took much longer than I had expected to regain enough agility in that shoulder to permit me to twist enough to tape a diper. :( Pinning a cloth diaper would not have been possible for much longer. Forget cloth diapering as you will not be able to manage it.

For tabbed disposable diapers, get the best premium diapers and booster pads you can afford in order to reduce the number of changes. Before surgery, prepare, and then set aside, a large number of these diapers by putting them on, taping the bottom tapes, and only one top tape. Post-surgery, you should be able to manage pulling on one of these pre-taped diapers and then taping only the remaining top tape.

Also have a supply of good pullups to supplement your tabbed diapers.

Post-surgery, be thankful that others will change your diaper and don't let that be a cause of stress. Of course, having been there I realize that is not as easy as it sounds. :oops: The nurses and aides do this every day and it is not a big thing for them.

As I am bowel incontinent, my biggest problem was cleaning up and changing a messy diaper. I found that to be much more difficult to accomplish with one hand than one might think. It is difficult to roll up a messy diaper and put it into a disposal bag without spilling the contents. Then, a hand-held shower nozzle with a strong spray was a godsend.

As others have recommended, please do practice your diapering methods in advance of your surgery.

Good luck,

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:19 pm 

I too had to have rotator cuff surgery from a work related injury a few years ago and I was so stressing how to manage with only one arm. My fears were VERY well founded. For the first week, my wife took off and did all my diaper changes. I was such an emotional wreck that I was almost in tears the first few times but she was so caring and thoughtful that we were able to get through it.
Now after that first week, she would change me before she went to work and then I needed a home health nurse to visit once a day to help me shower and then change me. Again, i was a wreck but I was in such pain trying to move my arm, I knew I had no other options. The nurse that helped me though was a total pro. She had not had a lot of people in diapers but she did it and listened to how I liked it and needed it done that she had it down pat after the first week. She continued to help me for the next two or three months till I was able to use a stick with a hook to get dressed myself.
Cloth diapers took longer to be able to do again mainly because I needed to reach across my body to pull tight and pin my diaper. I think it was about 4 months before I could use cloth again and getting it tight in the waist. My arm was SOOOO weak.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:06 am 

Hi dp66

I find that a diaper with a front Plastic landing strip so helpful for a single handed change, I have had times when I have had one hand in a bandage etc. I can put the tabs roughly in place single handed then treat it as a pull up and carry out final adjustments once on. If you have time before the 11th have a practice. I also do this with diapers in my go bag saves so much hassle if using a conventional toilet when out! Keeps my independence too.

Example in link below ⬇️

https://www.thedottydiapercompany.co.uk ... nd-simple/

I hope this helps!

Greenbank