www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spinal stenosis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:02 am 

I have been diagnosed with spinal stenosis with neurogenic claudication and neural foraminal stenosis. I think it means that my spinal column at the low end of spine is being crushed. I see a neurosurgeon on Feb. 22 to get the details, and what course of action to take. Anyone here know anything about this condition?

Post subject: Re: Spinal stenosis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:57 am 

I am not a physician. However, I do have a genetic disease, Marfan Syndrome, which has had a similar affect on the spinal nerves which manage continence. Spinal issues can be the pits; however, they do give you a reliable understanding of the cause of your incontinence, and, therefore, a better idea of what you need to do to manage it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:35 am 

I have spinal stenosis that is much of the reason for my neurogenic bowel and bladder and incontinence. I have had L3-L4-L5 fusion and L2 is protruding.

As I do not have your exact condition, I cannot advise. Nerve damage can cause varying effects in different individuals, so it is difficult to precisely identify a cause and effect relationship.

Surgery usually is to avoid further narrowing of the spinal channel to avoid more compression on the nerves and impairment of their associated parts of the anatomy (i.e. keep things from getting worse). However, it is difficult to predict the post-surgical outcome regarding pain or incontinence. Others may be able to provide better information on this.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:00 pm 

Hi Damp,

I don't have that particular condition but I do have stenosis in my cervical spine as well as central nervous malfunction. What I understand about what your diagnosis is that it can be extremely dangerous. I hope you are getting good advice from your doctor on what types of things you need to watch out for and that you are taking extra care of yourself while you wait for treatment. I wish you the best of luck in getting things figured out, and on the mend. Sorry to hear of your troubles.