www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Autonomic Neuropathy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:25 am 
Admin

This type of neuropathy effects the autonomic nervous system, which controls the involuntary systems of the body. These are the processes your body does on a daily basis that you don’t have to think about. Tasks such as breathing, sweating, temperature control, regulating blood pressure and heart rate, and bladder and bowel function to name a few. I have difficulty with all of these processes and more. In the past 2 months, I have been in hypertensive crisis twice with blood pressures of 160/115+. I currently take two blood pressure medications. Both regulate blood pressure and one also acts to slow my heart down. I’ve been told I may need a pacemaker due to alternating bradycardia and tachycardia. Sometimes, I randomly stop breathing for about 10-15 seconds. I have a whole team of doctors, I’m unemployable, and a professional patient. My days are spent going from one doctor to the next. Occasionally, I go to therapy to lessen symptoms of depression about my health. Recently, I got a handy blue disability parking placard for my car as I have a lot of joint pain with frequent trouble walking. This has all happened gradually over the last 9 years. I was once a marathon runner, now I struggle to walk up the stairs. This type of disorder can be dangerous as death can occur from silent heart attack, or cardiac arrest with no warning signs, or acute respiratory failure. Something like this kind of puts my incontinence in perspective for me.

Post subject: Re: Autonomic Neuropathy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:57 am 

My heart goes out to you. Your fragile health puts my own situation in perspective. I hope that your doctors will be able to manage your situation successfully, and that you will enable them to learn what they will need to do for others in your situation.

Post subject: Re: Autonomic Neuropathy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:16 am 
Admin

This type of disorder has no treatment and does not have a cure. The doctors try to treat the conditions that go with it, but can’t cure the neuropathy itself. They just try to make it better. The neuropathy came from medical treatment for another serious condition. A doctor gave me too much medication for too long. It caused nerve damage. I no longer see that doctor (obviously). When my current doctor found out what happened, he was quite angry about it. But it’s of no use as nothing can be done.