www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:28 pm 

The U.S. National Institutes of Health writes: "Chronic nonbacterial prostatitis causes long-term pain and urinary symptoms. It involves the prostate gland or other parts of a man's lower urinary tract or genital area." Several forum members have mentioned that they have been diagnosed with this disease. I would like to ask for members' help in gathering information about experiences with this condition. I am interested in doing this in order to learn more about the connection between prostatitis and incontinence. I am going to post questions here, and then post my answers in a separate post. Thank you very much.

1. Do you experience prostate-related pain? Any particular times? How would you rate the pain on the typical scale (1-10)?

2. Does prostatitis cause you to experience incontinence? What are your symptoms? Do you think that your experience of prostatitis-related incontinence is less than normal for a patient with prostatitis, about normal, or greater than normal?

3. Have you explored treatments? Did anything lesson pain or incontinence caused by prostatitis?

4. Have you spoken to a urologist about using pads specifically to address incontinence caused by prostatitis? Did the urologist support this?

5. Do you think that incontinence caused by prostatitis gets better over time, stays about the same, or becomes worse?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:50 pm 

1. Do you experience prostate-related pain? Any particular times? How would you rate the pain on the typical scale (1-10)?

Yes. I experience prostatitis-related pain. It is especially noticeable a) after bowel movements and b) if I wait until I have a full bladder before I urinate. Type a) causes sensitivity on my bottom and pain when I sit or walk. It also seems to cause abdominal discomfort. Type b) causes a burning sensation. I would say that the first type can be a 5 or a 6. The latter is a 3 or a 4.

2. Does prostatitis cause you to experience incontinence? What are your symptoms? Do you think that your experience of prostatitis-related incontinence is less than normal for a patient with prostatitis, about normal, or greater than normal?

Yes, I experience incontinence as a result of prostatitis. I'm not sure how to classify it as it seems to fall into more than one category. This has, at times, made me wonder if there is more going on with my incontinence than prostatitis. I seem to have difficulty emptying my bladder. I always have follow-up urges after using the restroom. These can be intense urges with very small amounts of fluid. Prostatitis also seems to cause increased frequency for me. Prostatitis also seems to cause urge incontinence and/or stress incontinence. For example, I have to be careful when kneeling, because I almost always have very strong urges to void. My sense from researching this is that my prostatitis causes greater than normal levels of incontinence.

3. Have you explored treatments? Did anything lesson pain or incontinence caused by prostatitis?

Yes. I am allergic to Flowmax, which is the only drug I know of that works directly on the prostate. I have tried bladder medications like oxybutynin. I have found that the side effects make them undesirable for daily use.

4. Have you spoken to a urologist about using pads specifically to address incontinence caused by prostatitis? Did the urologist support this?

Yes. He supports it, though he seemed to think they would not be necessary on a daily basis. I have not found this expectation to be supported by my experience. One of my main motivations for diaper usage is to prevent my bladder from getting full, because urinating from a full bladder is especially uncomfortable (see pain type b) above). I manage my incontinence symptoms with pull-ups and timed voiding.

5. Do you think that incontinence caused by prostatitis gets better over time, stays about the same, or becomes worse?

My urologist said that prostatitis symptoms would stay the same over time. But I have found that both the pain and the incontinence have definitely worsened. The episodes of pain have the same frequency, but they seem to be more intense than they used to be. On the incontinence side, frequency and urgency have both increased. I also find that I have a sort of persistent wetness in my urethra after urinating. Fluid continues to show up in small quantities for awhile (not sure how long). If I'm wearing boxers, I can feel a light sort of spray/drizzle when I walk. Finally, NIH notes that one of the causes of prostatitis is "Irritation caused by a backup of urine flowing into the prostate." I sometimes wonder if diaper usage has contributed to this.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:59 pm 

I too experience prostatitis-related pain, and notice it most if I slack off of my heavy hydration routine. Also, if I ever try to hold it to pee I will notice it more as well. Given my many other worse issues, remnants of a not to distant war, I'll give it a 5 or 6.

Yes, I too experience incontinence but they couldn't pin this down to a consequence of the prostatitis because the TBI and mobility issues are also factors. I often feel like I have to go, even if I just peed and when I'm done peeing it feels like I have to go again. The prostatitis causes an increased frequency too, especially since it requires me to drink so much water.

Yes, I tried all of the pills and none of them worked.

Yes, I wear diapers and my doctor and urologist are okay with it. Supportive? Dunno, don't care since they DID write the script for the VA to cover my diapers.

My urologist also said that prostatitis symptoms would stay the same over time. So far he seems to be correct.

Special Thanks to NOE for posting this, and whose answer I copied and pasted!! I then tweaked it to apply to me, but a shout out for the one who answered first!!! :)

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:09 pm 

Thank you, Porkchop! It's interesting that, for both of us, holding onto urine exacerbates prostatitis-related pain. I definitely experience this but I have never read about it anywhere. I appreciate your sharing your own experience.

Noe

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:23 pm 

@Noe, you're very welcome... I also find that not drinking a LOT of water makes it worse but THEN the extra water means I'm leaking like a fool. Sorry, all the metaphors I had for that one were mildly to severely inappropriate. Anyway, if I hydrate a lot the prostatisis is better but the incontinence is way worse.... A dual edged sword, and the painless incontinence wins.

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:49 pm 

Not sure if I have this -my GP suspects a chronic prostatitis may be the reason for my troubles- but I can agree to most points people have written here. What's weird is that tests showed no signs of anomalities or infections in the prostate.

But anyhow, here are my answers, even though I haven't yet got any diagnosis.

I'm not sure, but based on what I've read the area seems to fit, even though these vary in my case quite much. I experience pains below the navel, in the kidneys and perineum, just above the root of my penis and in the bladder. It may be a Chr.Prost. but other options are open too: it may have something to do with the nerves, it may be a structural anomaly or an injury. My pains come when I have a full bladder or a full bowel, but sometimes they attack without warning and with no apparent reason, although I've noticed that black tea, & apple, orange and cranberry juice beat the piss (ha ha) out my bladder. Symptoms worsen with cold. Kidneys go haywire if cold or dehydrated. Both sharp and dull pains are commonplace, range from 5-8. As I am prone to having kidney stones, I must drink frequently, and that of course contributes to the filling of bladder.

Again, not sure if caused by the prostate, but may well be. Symptoms fit: urge and increased frequency, leaks (sometimes larger and sometimes minor) are occasional. Bladder fills up fast and the need strikes often soon after voiding. As a backup, I wear a diaper when going out or traveling or noticing the day'll be a bad one. Reaching the toilet is sometimes difficult, and the pains have prevented me from reaching the toilet a few times.

I have anticholinergics in use, have helped with frequency, but obviously not with the pain attacks.

Not yet, but am going to meet one soon. Haven't mentioned diapers to my GP either, even though I should. Stupid, 'cos I've been able to tell a handful of good friends.

Based on what I've read, it is possible that, if this is prostatitis, this is reversible, and my situation's certainly not as bad as with some of the other people on this forum. I try to keep the situation from worsening. I've noticed warmth and protection from the elements as well as keeping my feet warm is what helps me the best. It's woolen socks all year round.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:38 pm 

Thank you, Überaktive. You mentioned that you underwent prostate tests, but you do not mention which ones. PSA tests or other kinds of laboratory work will not detect chronic, non-bacterial prostatitis, so negatives on those results would not rule out CNP.

My understanding is that CNP can only be detected by a digital rectal exam. When I underwent this procedure, my urologist said hat my prostate felt very large and very mushy. Then he pressed down on it, which was quite painful. He continued doing this until a sort of pus-substance came out of my penis. This, he told me, means that I have prostatitis. Urine tests revealed no bacteria. This, combined with my symptom history, led to the diagnosis of chronic, non-bacterial prostatitis. He said that medical science does not know what causes this, and treatments for it are "hocus pocus."

I see many of my symptoms in your description here. Thanks for your detailed writeup. You could have CNP, and you might also have something else. Only a doctor will be able to say. I totally understand your hesitation about mentioning your symptoms and use of diapers to a GP or a urologist. I felt the same way, and was very nervous. It helps to remember that doctors, especially urologists, literally hear about this sort of thing all day, every day. I am sure your consultation will go just fine.

Noe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:28 am 

Thanks for the insight. :)