www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clothing
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:32 am 

It has prevented me from wearing my favourite tight jeans or clothes. Not a dress skirt liking girl. Also, if the nappy bulge shows, I have to explain.

Post subject: Re: Clothing
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:12 am 

I can sympathize. Tight clothing does not work even for us guys.

I found dark pants with a small amount of extra material from a diamond-shaped gusset in the crotch (intended for active wear) provided just the extra space needed to hide a premium diaper with booster pad. :D

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:30 pm 

I am realizing that I need to replace some clothing, particularly the tighter jeans and pants generally. I seem to be fighting "The Battle of the Bulge" around the waist. The more absorbent pull-ups, when i need them, are not helping either. Now that hopefully normal days of shopping are returning, I might be able to retire some clothes.

Also time to buy some longer T-shirts, since I've managed to shrink several of my regulars. It's causing me to obsess about pulling the back down. When my wife told me my tag was sticking out the other day, I immediately pulled down my shirt. But ha, it was the shirt tag around the neck that she was concerned about.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:33 pm 

One thing I didn't expect is how much the inseam in my pants are affected. If the pants are designed to sit high on the hips, there is much less room for clearance .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:59 pm 

I usually wear "Relaxed Fit" pants, they work great to hide the bulge and still provide a reasonable fit. I've been wearing diapers for over five years and I've never had anyone mention a bulge or ask what I was wearing under my pants.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:51 pm 

Absolutely changes the way I dress. Long tunics are a must. For sure no skinny jeans. Going to the pool with kids so my bathing suits are very different (usually a pair of shorts over the bottoms). Bigger purses with inside pockets for supplies.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:07 am 

I’ve been incontinent nearly all of my life so I have chosen clothing that effectively camouflages the diaper outline and bulk. I tend to wear casual dresses with a fuller skirt or a skirt and top that tends to extend well past my waist. Also, I choose colors and prints that distract from the diaper beneath. I’ll also wear jeans and a long tee shirt or blouse.
I wear rather thick cloth diapers normally but always wear a control brief to reduce the bulk and keep wet diapers in place. When I go out in less casual clothes, I wear a disposable with a booster and even a pull-up if I’m wearing dress slacks, but I need to change often and be super aware constantly of heavy leakage or God forbid, a flood! Most people are used to seeing me in a dress and with a fuller butt so I have to be careful not to be seen by people I’m around all the time when wearing my skinny clothes…
My body shape has helped me hide diapers effectively over the years in that my butt is abnormally flat…. Other than my skinny butt, I have a full bust, small waist, and wide hips. The cloth diapers add roundness to my butt, resulting in a near normal silhouette. I’m also nearly 5 feet tall if I stand “real straight” and have one of those faces that the Texas sun has been very kind to. The only thing that keeps me out of the children’s section for clothing are my big boobs… I often have to alter petite clothes to fit properly!
My husband always compares me to a dark hair version of the Bernadette character on Big Bang Theory :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:44 am 

JDinVirginia wrote:
I found dark pants with a small amount of extra material from a diamond-shaped gusset in the crotch (intended for active wear) provided just the extra space needed to hide a premium diaper with booster pad.

Interesting. Do you have brands or stores to search? I think Duluth Trading Co. makes pants like you described.

I found some kind of karate/yoga shorts on Amazon that really fit nicely into my style. They're very baggy in the crotch area, drawstring waiste, light cotton material, and long. They work especially well for me and my nature loving, bohemian look, but I think they'd look pretty normal on anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:39 pm 

I haven’t had to adjust my clothing. I’ve always worn baggy shorts/pants. And no one has ever mentioned any “bulge” in my pants and I think it would be weird if someone did.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:07 am 

citygardener, I have asked friends in whom I have confided about my incontinence whether they could tell that I was wearing diapers and, even after knowing my secret, all said "no." Even during the day, I wear a premium diaper like MegaMax, InControl Elite Hybrid, BetterDry, etc, with a booster pad, a cloth toweling pull-up (from Kins), and a diaper cover. I wear black pants and, although that is substantial bulk, no one can tell. :D Please see the note below from my draft book on incontinence.

A company that sells excellent pants and shorts for anyone wearing a diaper (or similar product) is the Duluth Trading Company. Known for their durable workwear, the fit of their pants is comfortable and allows enough space for diapers. Their pants are known for what may be the best feature for anyone wearing diapers - a hidden gusset in the crotch to allow extra flexibility of movement. That extra fabric in the crotch provides enough additional space to accommodate, and hide, a premium diaper, with a booster pad. I wear these and find the quality to be excellent. Their products are not inexpensive, but the company has almost constant sales and discounts.

I am sure there must be other clothing manufacturers similarly incorporating a gusset in their pants. Does anyone know of any?

--John
(double incontinent)