www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:49 am 

Dr hates it for me. Thinks I should be doing more to correct it. I'm done being poked. I've just told him to shut up about it. He has and we get along fine now

Post subject: Advice from Doctors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:05 pm 
Admin

Not a whole lot of that for me. When I first told him that I had problems, he sent me off to see the Uro, and he did the lookie-loo, and asked a few history questions, as it has been 15+ yrs so a bunch of info to tell him about. He did a cystoscopy, and the fill drain Urodynamic tests, and found nothing serious to lead to a cause. Prostate infectiion, not the first aggrevates things for sure. As far as how to deal with it, I told the doc the leg bag system is a life saver as far as being able to do things and not have to constantly fret where the bathrooms are. I have been diapering when needed at night, not so much daytime, a pull up if needed for short trips. He originally only knew of the leg bag, but it is a hassle and expensive for short trips, so I told him I was using disposable products. Never got into the horrid details, I really think he didn't want to hear it, all he said was "Do what you have to to control it". The Urologist NEVER even asked how I coped with the incontinence, all he did was tests and a perscription for antibiotics, and I have not even heard back on any offical findings from the scope and fill test. He may have read in my chart that I was using the legbag and cath for daytime, and nights when it got that bad. I may need to go see another in the future, as I was disappointed with his performance to say the least. I am guessing at 43, I should not have these kind of problems, but they see younger then me, I just lack the visible disabling injuries and illnesses. Thanks, Puff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:58 pm 
Admin

My urologists that I've seen so far have done 2 urodynamics in 2.5 yrs and I have been on like 6 different medications. I failed every one of them. My current urologist wants to put me on Sanctura. Another bladder med. But if I get constipation and other gnarly side effects, I'm gonna quit. I like my current primary doc. He understands that I don't want surgery and I don't want anymore meds. He pretty much leaves me alone. And I like it that way. When I see him, he just asks me hows it going? I tell him that I'm doing ok and I give him updates and he really doesn't bother trying to cure my incontinence. We understand one another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:42 pm 

Sometimes the side effects are worse then being incon. I don't take any meds for being incon, but I more than make up for it with all the other meds that I take for nerve damage. Like many here, I also experience constipation so I have a med for that. I sometimes think I have enough meds to start my own pharmacy.

I think anyone that has a cronic health issues probably uses several meds sometimes just to fine the one that works best. I know I've done that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:12 pm 

[quote="johnstone"]Sometimes the side effects are worse then being incon. I don't take any meds for being incon, but I more than make up for it with all the other meds that I take for nerve damage. Like many here, I also experience constipation so I have a med for that. I sometimes think I have enough meds to start my own pharmacy.

I think anyone that has a cronic health issues probably uses several meds sometimes just to fine the one that works best. I know I've done that.[/quote]

WHY do uneducated and uninformed DR.'s as well as the rest of the "medical profession"....KEEP trying to fix me.....in my opinion there is nothing wrong....." They really need to get a life

Post subject: Re: medical advice
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:04 pm 

wesley wrote:
"Oh,he'll outgrow it", said the doctor to my mother, almost sixty years ago.

I think that was the stock answer for childhood bedwetting back in the good old days. They told my mother the same. I wet the bed until I was at least 18 before I was fairly dry at night and I was in my early 20's by the time I was reliably free of bedwetting.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:20 am 

Sandy wrote:
Hi K.T :D
My two cents says SCREW THE DRUGS! (and the doctors) it's not worth the side effects and money/hassle they will be. Wear the proper protection and get out and LIVE! I know it's hard but don't worry about what others might think of diapers. It gets easier for most of us as time goes by..............Sandy :)

I couldn't agree more. Although I have seen my Doctor a Urologist and his understudy plus our prctice continence nurse no definite answer to my incontinence has been found. I wear tena pads at night and washable inco pants by day and get on with my life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:33 pm 

I just joined too and want to applauded Sandy too on their point. I am sure I am no different then most here, that the doctors have pushed every drug and procedure your way and we cant help but see the side effects are worse than the condition. It can be a hard pill to swallow but with time, most see it is the best way to go.

Last edited by Puffy Pants on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spelling error

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:34 am 

May I add this tardy reply?

I have been incontinent for many years. Urinary incontinence was caused by painful bladder spasms (think Charley Horse of the bladder) which were not solved by any of the medications my urologist prescribed; the pain only ended when I got a sphincterotomy. My bowel incontinence seems to be a common symptom of folks who have gastroparesis (paralyzed stomach). I guess that managing bowel control will involve a continuing adjustment of my medications. My biggest fear about these medications is that they can have weird side effects. The metoclopramide, which is used to make my stomach do its work, also messes big time with brain chemistry. I would never have guessed that bowel incontinence could involve mental health, but, with metoclopramide it does.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:47 am 

im going to add a late reply too.
i talked to my primary care doc (who i see tomorrow) who suggested diapers. i see the uriologist in 2 weeks and im super nervous. i had a bladder problems when i was on lithium for bipolar and when i went off it stopped, but had surgery last month and they used a catheter and now i have really bad incontinence.
i dont want more medication and i dont want surgery again.
i am starting to accept that this may be a long term thing. im trying not to get depressed, though, but its hard.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next