www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:44 pm 

Summer now approaches for us in southern Ontario (finally and yea). It's been a long winter and I'm still grappling with my acceptance of IC. Now my tax lady (a friend) knows and seen everything I purchased diaper wise last year in the receipts. I haven't seen her in person yet but she gets it when I texted that I didn't picture my sunset years this way!

We've had some local dirt track racing during this spring but it still gets very cold by the time of the last race (10:30 pm, 8°C or 46.4°F). For me, it's a time for long johns over a diaper. I've been using up my Forsite am:pm diapers this way, since nobody hears you crinkle at the track. Forsite is definitely overkill for my needs.

Due to increasing BM instability, I've been wearing NS Supreme Lite diapers when I leave the house for shopping/errands. This has been a difficult change for me because it represents one more bit of lost control and dignity. I had become so complacent wearing pull-ups to date, that I didn't even think of them as diapers anymore. But wearing daytime briefs changed that along with the potential for BM accidents. I quit coffee now when I know I have to go out, just to be on the safe side. That seems to be working even though it mentally grates the soul!

When the weather turns warmer, I'll be facing more challenges. The need to be more careful about discreetness. Also the issue of being comfortable in the heat and shorts. There will likely be more family gatherings at parks this year so I need to worry about changes in public washrooms etc.

How has IC changed my life?

In short it has turned things upside down. Outside of forums, I can't really talk about it. Wife supports but feels uncomfortable talking about it. There is no dignity in any of this. Even though nobody has openly persecuted me I feel disgusted at myself some mornings, as I change out of my overnight diaper. Much of my health is being taken away by diabetes. I've lost some urinary and some BM control, struggling to keep my eyesight and slowly losing my hearing. I still have my feet and legs so far. Metformin is causing some other issues. But to stop that I have bigger daily problems managing insulin. I've lost what little strength I used to have and have difficulty balancing. This totally sucks as I have just become a weak old diaper wearing man.

I guess I should shut up, take a deep breath and reset for tomorrow. Life is good, but unfortunately my health is going downhill in a hand basket. I'm normally upbeat but sometimes this stuff just gets to me. I need to recount the blessing that I still have. Apologies for turning this into a rant.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:46 am 

Wayne, it gets to all of us, sometimes more than at others. I know exactly how you feel about not being to discuss it fully with spouse and friends. While they commendably are suportive, they are not living through the same experience and cannot understand our emotional challenges.

My Dad used to remind me, "Life is not fair." Boy, was he ever right.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:37 am 

Thanks JD. I should have not posted that but for some reason the more I thought about it, the worse I got feeling at the time. It's certainly true that life is not fair.

But today is new day and even though I have a not fun appointment today, the sun is shining and I'll weather it like before.