www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your IC forecast
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:49 pm 

This post might not apply to many here, i.e. those using a diaper all day long. But for those of us (urge IC) who wear for accident prevention most of the time, how do you cope with the sudden changes in plans? Then again, I suppose plans affects all of us.

For example, if family/friends suddenly decide "let's go to the park", "let's go for a (long) hike" or "let's go boating" or some other venue that you know is trouble for your urge IC. Or your spouse reminds you at the last second "remember, we're watching grandson's soccer practice tonight." Do you "excuse me honey while I change?" Or with your friends do you "excuse me a sec, nature calls...". Or worse, when you go somewhere and because of a plan change, you now wish you had better protection and a place to change?

I have been using the cheap TENA Classic pull-ups for accident prevention to save money. But these change of plan surprises have me wanting to up my protection somewhat so that I don't have to worry as much (the Classic is probably barely adequate). Of course, cost is always a factor. When I know I need to be away from home for any length of time (say shopping), then I take no chances and use my best protection. But this is easy to plan for.

So how do others cope with this unpredictability? I wish I had an app on my phone for "Your IC forecast".

Post subject: Re: Your IC forecast
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:59 pm 

I think 80% of dealing with the problem of incontinence in a relaxed way is in the logistics. I don't like being in a wet aid any longer than necessary, and prefer to change quickly if possible when something goes wrong and wear lighter protection instead. But you're right, of course - there are situations where that doesn't always work without a hitch, so you need more protection.

I usually only wear incontinence pads at home and in the office. They can withstand an accident if I can't get to the toilet fast enough.If I have to go out spontaneously and I don't know whether I'll find a toilet quickly on the way, I just put on a diaper. It's not great - but it sure works - which brings me back to point one.

I have everything I need at home, in my car, and in my office. So when it comes to those spontaneous activities with uncertain outcomes, I grab a diaper, head to the nearest restroom and swap out the incontinence pad , which I normally wear, for the diaper and I'm good to go. Ok - that was a wasted pad then, but that doesn't happen all the time. The diaper gives me enough time to find a safe place to change even in the worst case scenario when I actually wet myself multiple times. In case of doubt I take a bag with one or two spare diapers and a few wipes with me on the way.

To be honest, I don't see this as a big problem - many people go to the bathroom before they leave - so you're probably not the only one who goes to a washroom. Besides, the others have to go to the bathroom at some point along the way, too. My experience is rather that I have been with my diaper significantly more relaxed on the road than my friends without ....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:36 pm 

This all is about risk management and risk tolerance. I have informed my family and only a few of my closest friends about my incontinence in order to avoid exactly the type of awkward or embarrassing situations Wayne mentioned. They have been understanding and it has worked well for all of us. :D

As I am double incontinent, I do decline some spontaneous invitations, depending on the nature of the event. I keep a backpack with supplies, plus an "emergency kit" in the car, but would prefer not to have to use them around family or friends when away from home at an event.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:03 pm 

For now at least, I have decided to up my protection to allow me to worry less for most last minute change of plans. Of course, I still must change to premium protection when I go shopping etc. for any length of time.

The only negative with stepped up protection is that they are extra warm to wear. I live near the great lakes, so the humidity is horrendous in heat. Think Detroit like humid. In that weather, you have to peel your pull-up off. In winter, that extra warmth is a feature.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:15 am 

For me my IC Forecast was done by a drunk weather man so I tend to have more supplies with me that what I need day to day.

But, I have ended up in the ER/ED more times than I can count and if I was ever admitted then I would need what I carry with me and it is too far for most family to drive to bring me things.

My backpack has

5 betterdrys stored in a Medium REI Co-op packing cube in the bottom of my bag

The top has two easy access betterdrys and the middle has 2-4 abena L3 pul-ups.

Also a full change of cloths and things like bags wipes and stuff.

The ER/ED hospital that I go to is about an hour 15minutes from my apartment so this is needed.

I am a strong believer in having and not need verses need and not have because I have learned the hard way one to many times.

I also have a smaller bag that I take with me when I am running into a store and it has just two of what ever I think I will need that day but right now that is all up in the air.

I am going to be building a better go bag that I carry with me everywhere because after the Botox that I just had in my rectum everything is still changing so I cannot tell what I will need day to day just yet.

Develop from the negatives
Take another shot!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:26 pm 

Dribbling with the occasional chance of minor flooding.

ScottK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:11 am 

Light rain throughout the day with sudden downpours.