www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:44 am 

By the time I turned 50, in 2004, I was experiencing urinary symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) which included hesitancy in starting to pee, having to get up at night to pee, and some dribbling and leakage. My urologist recommended kegels which I tried with some effect though BPH mostly continued. After 10 years of being pretty stable my urinary symptoms started worsening and my PSA (never real low for my age) started going up faster. There is a family history of prostate cancer (maternal grandfather died of it and his oldest son, my uncle, was successfully treated for prostate cancer in the 1980s while my dad died in his 40s of MS--so grandpa and uncle are closest male relatives with any information on prostate issues).
With all of that, my urologist suggested a biopsy and it turned out that I had prostate cancer at age 60. Though the tumor grade was very favorable, the tumors were already large as 7 out of 12 biopsy cores had cancer and 2 more were 'suspect'. In 2015 I had a radical prostatectomy; as the tumor was more involved on one side my urologist performed a 'wide excision' on that side (non-nerve sparing) while he tried to spare the nerves on my less involved side. Surgical pathology said that was a good idea as the more involved left side was 75% cancer and the right side 25% tumor. Long story, short, they got the cancer though I ended up with the major side effects.
Kegels helped some while recovering from surgery but by 2 years after I hadn't made any progress for a year and a half. Therefore, I use Depends Fit Flex briefs. Wearing briefs 24/7 keeps my clothes dry and am not looking for the closest bathroom wherever I go. This is much more comfortable than trying to pretend that I was sort of continent when the truth is I have been incontinent to one degree or other for over 10 years.
Now, 3 years after surgery I remain cancer free and the diligence of my doctors and myself in watching and treating the cancer was well worth it despite the side effects. The moderate incontinence has slowly become just a fact of life. It really is nice to see that there are others also living well with incontinence.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:43 pm 

I have been incontinent my entire life due to being born with defective nerves and sensory issues related to autism. So, I didn't exactly become incontinent. I always have been.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:01 pm 

xakee wrote:
I have been incontinent my entire life due to being born with defective nerves and sensory issues related to autism. So, I didn't exactly become incontinent. I always have been.

welcome to the group. My heart goes out to you.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17