www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:55 am 
Admin

Hey all. I was just looking to see if any of you have had the same experience as me. I started to become incontinent about 7 years ago after being treated for a severe chronic health condition. I sought answers for years. Seeing multiple physicians. I have had uro studies and gastroenterology studies. I recently saw a VA neurologist (I an retired from the U.S Marine Corps) who put the pieces together and diagnosed an iatrogenic neuropathy. It is nerve damage associated with medical treatment. I have neurogenic bladder and bowel and have very poor control. I take oxybyutinin twice a day. I also wear Dry24/7 diapers. Had anyone else had this same experience?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:43 pm 

No, but it doesn't surprise me that medical treatment could cause unintended consequences.

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:33 am 

I have urge incontinence that is the result of a surgical mishap when I was 14 years old. So I guess that's iatrogenic.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:42 am 

Not incontinence related, but I do have neurogenic damage to my sinuses from a really bad car wreck and multiple subsequent surgeries. It's caused an allergy like post nasal drip which in turn has caused a chronic cough.

It's called neurogenic dysenergia cough (if I spelled that right). Luckily there is a treatment for it. I take 5mg of amitriptaline, and it reduces my cough by over 50%! The experts believe it's correcting some sort of nerve misfire much like how amitriptyline will normally calm down psychotic thoughts in the brain. They aren't sure though.

Try mentioning this to your doctor. There may be some sort of link here, and who knows, it might possibly help with your incontinence.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:15 pm 

One of my eleventh birthday presents was permission to go to the movies. I brought a case of ringworm home. My family doctor sent me to a radiologist, who blasted the ringworm with powerful radiation. I lost all my scalp hair, my eyebrows and my eyelashes. And I had an excruciating case of radiation poisoning, which lasted more than a week. Basically, the radiologist killed a housefly with a stick of dynamite. He got the critter, but I've been living in the wreckage ever since. My cerebellum was on ground zero; he treated it as though it were a tumor. I have been told that I had the cerebellum of a life-long alcoholic. Although the cerebellum is not directly involved in incontinence management, because its duties center on the management of skeletal musculature, if it is injured, getting to the bathroom, or anywhere else, becomes a challenge. Basically, I have iatrogenic clumsiness, which greatly complicates diaper changing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:38 pm 

Patrick wrote:
One of my eleventh birthday presents was permission to go to the movies. I brought a case of ringworm home. My family doctor sent me to a radiologist, who blasted the ringworm with powerful radiation. I lost all my scalp hair, my eyebrows and my eyelashes. And I had an excruciating case of radiation poisoning, which lasted more than a week. Basically, the radiologist killed a housefly with a stick of dynamite. He got the critter, but I've been living in the wreckage ever since. My cerebellum was on ground zero; he treated it as though it were a tumor. I have been told that I had the cerebellum of a life-long alcoholic. Although the cerebellum is not directly involved in incontinence management, because its duties center on the management of skeletal musculature, if it is injured, getting to the bathroom, or anywhere else, becomes a challenge. Basically, I have iatrogenic clumsiness, which greatly complicates diaper changing.

I have unrelated mobility issues, but I can definitely understand how hit complicates diaper changes. Hope you've figured it all out already!

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:04 pm 

When my urologist discovered my brain injury, he ordered the MRI that located my meningioma. Then he ordered physical therapy. Most of my physical therapy sessions have been devoted to teaching me how to change my diaper safely when my world is spinning out of control and I cannot control my legs. This has been extremely embarrassing, but it has prevented me from injuring myself on numerous occasions. Keeping track of my center of gravity, standing with my legs far enough apart to give me a stable triangle under me, have been some of the lessons the therapists have taught me. I have developed a high regard for my physical therapists.