www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just been there
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:15 pm 

Hi everyone,

I am new too this forum and so to introduce myself to everyone I will tell you some of my story.

I have a bed-wetting problem. Ever since I was a kid I have always had trouble going at night. At first I thought potty training did not work for me. Also at that time I had a problems during the day at school so I had to take pull-ups to school(my moms idea), and clothes. Well that stopped not sure how and it has continued ever since then. We did not have much money so we never back then so we did not try very many things. We thought maybe I would grow out of it as time went on. Yeah it did not.

I am 34 now I still wear pull-ups every night. I am now seeking a solution if there is one for my bed-wetting. My new doctor wants me too take pills to help it and I not sure about that. Nothing we have ever done has ever helped solve it. I have tried a lot the basic ways but nothing. I am seeking a sleep doctor for this because this is what makes the most since and after thinking about my problem after this long it is what I think is wrong.

It has been very interesting reading the forums already and has been helpful already.

Post subject: Re: Just been there
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:49 am 

At least you wear pull ups. I can't; they have low capacity and I've very high wetting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:36 am 

Welcome Addsmie.

As I understand it, most pills will reduce bedwetting but not eliminate it. My urologist thought I would find the side-effects to be more than I would want to tolerate.

Like JDavis (sorry about the confusing similarity in our names), I too am a bedwetter and cannot use pulllups. As I am a heavy wetter, I wear a premium diaper with a booster at night, plus a diaper cover. That requires some experimentation but can solve the wet bed problem. I am pleased that I now do not have any wet beds in the mornings.

We all are different. You must find what works best for you. Good luck.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:59 pm 

Can I insert a plug here for washables? Although I do use disposables occasionally, washables offer me the best protection at night. They can be layered as much as necessary to ensure an uninterrupted night's sleep, and a dry bed in the morning. The cost of washables is steep; however, over time, and if you have ready access to a good laundry setup, they can be really cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:42 pm 

Since I have to fully pay for my protection (apart from a minor tax break), I found that the TENA Super Brief + plastic pants to be most const effective for my night time use. If you have high urine volumes, then it might not work well enough for you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:14 am 

Patrick, a plug for washables is certainly appropriate here. Cloth does offer the best chance for a sound sleep in a dry bed. There is a small learning curve to learn how best to fold and pin the cloth diaper. The downside is the need for a convenient and efficient washer and dryer.

Plus, as they say, if you use cloth, you never run out of diapers! :lol:

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:49 pm 

This is all new too me in terms of doing something other then pull-ups. I have never considered anything else because I did not know about the other options. A few of the accessories like diaper covers and things of that nature I may buy eventually. All I have is a absorbent cover over my mattress but that is all right now.

I had a wellness visit with my doctor and she asked about looking into insurance or something of that like too help me pay for my wetting supply's and I may do it or look into it sometime. I am just not sure I am ready to or comfortable doing that right now. She said when you are ready she is all for it. I said ok just not yet. The topic came up of my bed-wetting come up and I told her more things then I would normally say to someone but I knew she needed too know so she can better help me.

Right now I am trying to find if I can a sleep doctor that is not too expansive too go too right now. If I cannot I will just go to the dream center that is only a hour a way from where I live. It is just a waiting game right now even though I would like to start the process sooner rather then later too see if there is a simple solution or just finding out what my problem is so. I usually can be patient but it can be hard to wait when you would rather find out now more then later. I will just have too go with it for now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:07 pm 

When looking at sleep doctors, keep in mind that a "sleep study" is now done in your home. No more going to a clinic for the night. Now the Dr will send you a box of electronics that you get to hook up to yourself for a night or more. Then it gets mailed back. Really simple and easy.